Playstation 2 Cable Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dave_brogli, Jun 24, 2002.

1. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Ok.... here it is, I have a 36" RCA HDTV. Right now my PS2 is hooked up with S-video Monster Cables. I want to get some monster component cables but if I were to do that I would have to buy a component switcher (my pro-scan dvd already hooked up to the 1 comp. in). Anyways my question is how much of a REAL visual difference will I get with it. It will cause a ton of problems if I go with the component but I know components better, I am completley satisfied with my s-vid... but it can always be better.
    :b

2. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

i have used both s video and component as connections on my ps2 i would say just stick with the s video,theres not enough differance to justify switching cables all the time or investing any more money into,what i see as no change at all ,if you get an xbox by all means use comp.there you will see a much bigger change in quality.

3. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I had a completely different experience with cables and my PS2. I noticed a HUGE difference in quality between S-video and component. So, IMO, a component connection is worth any hassle it causes. Of course, it could've been a crap S-video cable, so YMMV.

Apparently there's at least one game coming out with progressive scan capabilities, so that might be something to take into account as well.

4. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Tekken 4 is currently supporting Progressive Scan on the PS2. Hopefully they keep it in the US version.

5. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

ohh great...now im in the same boat!

i knew SOCOM was supporting Progressive Scan, and I heard about Tekken a while back but forgot (probably because it hasnt been confirmed yet).

darn, so now I need to look into a similar problem. But I do remember finding a pretty decent component switcher for like 70.00 on one of those eletronics sites..now if I could just find which one it was...

6. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Ok so now lets say this..... can we just use the composite switcher for our comp. video games? I know for the most part you can... thats maybe what I will do.... TEKKEN 4 Progressive.... Lets all hope so.

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Dave:
    They can get to be expensive, but many middle-end amplifiers have high-band (i.e. HDTV-capable) component video switchers. If you're starting a home theater system, it might be worth looking into getting a receiver that can handle your 2 Component Video connections.
    Once I get a standalone DVD player, I'll run into the same problem..... [​IMG]