Playstation 2 as DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Longmore, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Rob Longmore

Rob Longmore Stunt Coordinator

I am in the Market for a replacement DVD player to take over from my now very old Unzoned samsung.
    I am looking in the $AU500 area, Unzoned of course!
    What i want to know is, What is the Playstation 2 like as a DVD player with the DVDX unzoning card? if it stacks up well against stand alone DVD players for the same money, i dont see why not go for the PS2 and get the added bonus of a games machine as well.
    I do believe the PS2 DVD player is also supports DTS? though i could be wrong.
    what do you all think?
    ------------------
    'They scream a lot', "Whats so funny about chopping someones toes off?" 'You know, the way they just.. drop off'
    [​IMG]

2. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

I don't know about the region-free hack and how it affects performance (if at all). Video specs on the PS2 aren't very complimentary; they say it doesn't perform as well on paper as some DVD players half its price.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-3-2001.html
    Having said that, I've been using one as my primary DVD player for about a year now. With a good S-video cable, it looks fine, certainly comparable to my old Toshiba. And it's got some really great games, obviously.
    It doesn't decode DTS but will pass DTS on to a receiver or amp that has a DTS decoder. It doesn't do progressive scan; it's been long rumored that a driver patch could enable it but it's never come to light.
    The main drawbacks I've run into are the following:
    * Isn't as capable of playing back scratched discs as my new standalone (Panasonic RP91) or DVD-ROM drives on computers.
    * Not having a time counter on the system itself to know where you are in a movie or how long you have to go.
    * The third party remote I bought (MadCatz) was just barely functional and wasn't recognized by my universal remote.
    The last two points are somewhat handled by Sony's new remote for PS2. The new DVD software takes up 2MB on a memory card. It enables two speeds of fast forward, has slow-motion, and also allows you to display an on-screen time counter, which cycles through chapter, time elapsed in chapter, time remaining in chapter, time elapsed in movie, and time remaining in movie. Since it's on-screen, though, it can be distracting.
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------
    --cv--

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The preavailing attitude here, mine included, is that the PS2 is a gaming console. It just happens to play DVDs as well. It is a convenience to be sure, but unless you have budgetary constraints you may be better off looking at stand-alone players.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

4. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Hey Chris:
    Does the Sony Playstation2 remote come with this 2mb mem card??
    Also, my biggest grips about the PS2 as a dvd player, there is NO POWER ON/OFF FROM ANY OF THE REMOTES!!!!!! Very stupid, especially coming from one of the biggest consumer electronics manufacturers. The PS2 should have had a IR sensor built into the unit. This would have made alot of sense for wireless controllers, remotes, etc...
    The IR interface w/ PS2 is so flaky, its not even worth using, unresponsive at times, slow, weak reception...
    But like was mentioned earlier, PS2 is for games!!!
    Do yourself a favor and get a standalone dvd player for movies, and get the PS2 for the awsome games...

5. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

6. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Why not buy a samsung dvd n501.... The DVD player that plays GAMES. It hasnt quite taken off yet but with any luck it will.