What's new

Playstation 2 as DVD Player (1 Viewer)

BenKof

Agent
Hey all,

I just started putting together my first home theater, but have run into a snag: my DVD player started acting funky a couple of days ago. In the interim, I've been using my PS2 for DVD's and want to know if I can hook it into my HT system - again just for the time being.
Anyone have any experience with this? Can it be done? My receiver is a brand new Yamaha HTR and seems to be able to accept every connection known to man.
Thanks.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Of course you can. just hook the optical out to an optical in and the video cable either through your receiver or straight to the TV

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
PS2 will handle pretty much everything you throw at it. Later models are not progressive, but I heard rumors that the newer versions with built in IR receiver for dvd remote ARE progressive. Anyone know the reality of this?

But yes, for your question, any sound format thru optical, and ps2 has component connectors out there for your liking, or s-video, or whatever you want.

Mike

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
PS2 will handle pretty much everything you throw at it. Later models are not progressive, but I heard rumors that the newer versions with built in IR receiver for dvd remote ARE progressive. Anyone know the reality of this?

But yes, for your question, any sound format thru optical, and ps2 has component connectors out there for your liking, or s-video, or whatever you want.

Mike

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All current PS2s are progressive, so if you bought it within the last 6 months or so, it will be. If it's older than that, it probably isn't. Check the game console forum to see if anyone knows exactly when the progressive models started shipping.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All current PS2s are progressive, so if you bought it within the last 6 months or so, it will be. If it's older than that, it probably isn't. Check the game console forum to see if anyone knows exactly when the progressive models started shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scoundrel
Recent bookmarks