What's new

Playstation 2 as dvd player? (1 Viewer)

Roy Brooks

Agent
I have read that the ps2 is a progressive scan dvd player. How do you feel it would proform in a home theater setup? I have a Denon 2803 with 2 component inputs and I planned to use one for a Starchoice hd receiver and the second for a dvd player but that leaves me with nothing for the ps2, so I was wondering if I should just use it rather that buying a separate dvd player.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
It is not really that bad. My launch-day PS2 has performance probably comparable to that of other budget players, but not better than players $300 and up.

However, be aware that only newer-model PS2s support progressive-scan playback. The model number must be greater than 50000.

Also be sure you get the Sony PS2 DVD remote. Controlling the player with the PS2 controller is a PITA.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've used a non progressive PS2 for DVD, and IMO, it was not a very good player at all. My new PS2 is progressive, though I have not used it this way yet. If you are just looking to put something on the screen with sound, it will work, but don't expect the quality of a decent DVD player.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I had the old PS2 (with DVD driver upgrade from Remote) and was using it as a player due to limited space/budget.

Upgraded to the new PS2+ unit (prog) for $79 with trade at GameStop as soon as it was released in US.

Quieter fan, built-in IR, and newer system drivers were all well worth it to me (as I use it constantly for gaming and movies).

In my estimation, it's fine DVD player as well as PS1/PS2/CD player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That also depends on what you are comparing it to. My old Sony 560D has a superior picture on the same TV that I tried out the PS2 interlaced, and both of my other players, a Panny A300U (interlaced) and a Denon 2200 (in interlaced mode), have considerably better PQ than the PS2. I haven't tried progressive yet, because I don't use the PS2 for movies.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
If you have a seperate DVD player then S-video is fine for the PS2. 99% of games do not support progressive scan, so they will look just fine using a S-video connection.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Not to quibble, but interlaced video sources also benefit from use of Component video cables.

For example, if you insert a PS1 game you will see the standard PS1 boot screen.

This screen contains a red field that is much more clearly defined when using Component video cables.

Using S-Video, red has a tendency to blur.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks