Playstation 2 as dvd player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Roy Brooks, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Roy Brooks

Roy Brooks Agent

I have read that the ps2 is a progressive scan dvd player. How do you feel it would proform in a home theater setup? I have a Denon 2803 with 2 component inputs and I planned to use one for a Starchoice hd receiver and the second for a dvd player but that leaves me with nothing for the ps2, so I was wondering if I should just use it rather that buying a separate dvd player.

2. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

It is not really that bad. My launch-day PS2 has performance probably comparable to that of other budget players, but not better than players $300 and up.

However, be aware that only newer-model PS2s support progressive-scan playback. The model number must be greater than 50000.

Also be sure you get the Sony PS2 DVD remote. Controlling the player with the PS2 controller is a PITA.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've used a non progressive PS2 for DVD, and IMO, it was not a very good player at all. My new PS2 is progressive, though I have not used it this way yet. If you are just looking to put something on the screen with sound, it will work, but don't expect the quality of a decent DVD player.

4. I had the old PS2 (with DVD driver upgrade from Remote) and was using it as a player due to limited space/budget.

Upgraded to the new PS2+ unit (prog) for $79 with trade at GameStop as soon as it was released in US.

Quieter fan, built-in IR, and newer system drivers were all well worth it to me (as I use it constantly for gaming and movies).

In my estimation, it's fine DVD player as well as PS1/PS2/CD player.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

That also depends on what you are comparing it to. My old Sony 560D has a superior picture on the same TV that I tried out the PS2 interlaced, and both of my other players, a Panny A300U (interlaced) and a Denon 2200 (in interlaced mode), have considerably better PQ than the PS2. I haven't tried progressive yet, because I don't use the PS2 for movies.

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

If you have a seperate DVD player then S-video is fine for the PS2. 99% of games do not support progressive scan, so they will look just fine using a S-video connection.

7. Not to quibble, but interlaced video sources also benefit from use of Component video cables.

For example, if you insert a PS1 game you will see the standard PS1 boot screen.

This screen contains a red field that is much more clearly defined when using Component video cables.

Using S-Video, red has a tendency to blur.