Playstation 2 and memory expansion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William_L, Dec 24, 2001.

1. William_L

William_L Extra

I bought my son a Playstation2 for Christmas, and the guy at Best Buy said that you HAVE to buy a memory expansion card in order to play any of the new games. I always thought the memory was just for saving games, so I didn't bother getting the memory, yet.

Will he be able to play any games without it?

2. David_Li

David_Li Auditioning

Absolutely...buy one asap if he wants to save games which is virtually a must with most games. Unless of course he's one of those hardcore gamers who can sit and beat a game in 14-30 hours [​IMG].

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

David's right. Unless he plans to sit down and play a game from start to finish in one go, you're gonna need a memory card.
    Technically, to PLAY the game, no you don't need one. But you'd have to start over again from the beginning every time you shut the machine off... [​IMG]

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You definitely should get one. Every PS2 game requires a memory card to progress in a game (unless you do it in one sitting, which is pretty hard to do for most games).

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I didn't buy a memory card until after I had 2-3 games, and I can tell you, it was frustrating. Take heed, and buy one.

But no, technically, as far as I know, games don't require it.

6. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

Just a warning, my brother bought one of the 3rd party memory cards because it had more memory and was cheaper. It required a boot up disc to use though, and he says that it doesn't work with Tony Hawk 3. Stick with the normal PS2 brand memory cards. I don't even think he uses the 3rd party one anymore.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If a third part memory card has the official PS logo, PS2 logo, and the MagicGate logo, then it is licensed, which means it will work normally with your PS2 and won't screw it up.

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Definently buy a memory card your son will become very frusturated when he can't save any of his games[​IMG]

9. BrandonG

BrandonG Agent

The only official 3rd party memory card that I know of is the MadCatz one. It is 8 MB and goes for $5 less than Sony's official memory card. Stay away from any of the 3rd party cards with the boot disk setup. You have to use the boot disk with every new game you put into the system, which is very tedious. Definitely not worth the few bucks you save. I always recommend the Sony memory card because it is guaranteed to work 100% with every game.

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

While Mad Catz is a solid third party, my Mad Catz memory card (which I purchased when Sony accessories were nearly impossible to find) began randomly corrupting all my game data a few months ago. I since purchased one of Sony's memory cards and have experienced no problems.
    Due to the corrupted data, I had to start the following games over from the beginning:
    ICO
    MGS2
    Jak&Daxter
    Frequency
    GTA3
    GT3
    and many, many more!!! [​IMG]
    Joseph

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

My MGS2 save files were leaving corrupted files around, but they didn't affect my card. I just deleted them.