Playing Xbox on CRT TV

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Andrew John, May 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Andrew John

Andrew John Auditioning

Hi just bought a sony KV-HR32 widescreen crt tv memory stick compatable High definition compatable.In New Zealand we don't get high def xbox all we have is svideo as the best output .Anyway getting to my question on the tv there is a setting for game mode or i can use it like i would for dvd drc 1250 mode.Any thoughts from anyone as to the pro's and con's of either way?

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Game mode is probably just a factory picture setting (ie. predetermined contrast, brightness, etc.) Nothing special about it beyond that. Your best bet is to use a calibrated input using a DVD test disc (Video Essentials, Avia), better still if you have the DVD kit for the Xbox as you're then calibrating right from the source. That said there will be pretty severe swings between games as to their own settings so feel free to tweak as necessary. Most important thing is that you have contrast properly set to minimize the risk of burning your tube.

3. Andrew John

Andrew John Auditioning

Hi thanks for your response i am thinking of getting an advanced xbox scart lead and a scart to component adapter with fibre optic for the audio.And just spoke to sony nz and they said no chance of burn in irrespective of contrast setting ?.He said game mode is a personal opinion thing.