playing with the HOSTS file

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jay H, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Running W2k, I have been on and off trying to get the anti-ad trick to work by putting those ad companies in my HOSTS file in W2K. But it doesn't seem to be actually working in real life Netscape 7.02.

I can test it out by PINGing ad.doubleclick.net in a DOS window and it returns my localhost as expected and when I comment it out, it returns the normal IP address. However, when I actually am running NS, I still get ads and all that stuff. There is a possibility that the ad might be dl'ed from that server but watching the status bar, I can see it calling "ads1.advance.net" which is the one I'm actually trying to block. Perhaps the ad is not dl'ed from them and something else is, I'm not sure. I have tried clearing my cache too.

Is there something I'm overlooking if it works when PINGing and not in NS?

Jay

2. JonT

JonT Auditioning

Does it block ads using another browser, Like IE. I have used that trick in the past and found it works pretty good, but i haven't tried it with netscape...

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I seriously doubt netscape is not obeying standard windows networking protocols by avoiding the host file. I bet is that the image you are trying to block isn't coming from the server you think it is. Or it rotates servers each time the page is loaded. You need to put every single one of them in your host file.

If you use mozilla you can actually right click the image and select block images from this server and it accomplishes the same thing. I don't know if netscape has this ability though.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks guys, I didn't realize the ap was part of a Macromedia Flash frame. NS doesn't have that right-click option but I just tried another link and it worked this time.

It appears to be working now..

Jay