What's new

Playing Real Media files with Windows Media Player? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, everyone. Can any of you tell me if it is possible to play Real Media files with Windows Media Player, and if it is possible, how would I go about doing this? Thanks for any replies!

Rob

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, but no you can't. Not only are the two completely different formats, but Microsoft and Real are currently in a major war trying to get their formats to be the dominant streaming media format. As such, Microsoft isn't going to be supporting Real's format with their Windows Media Player anytime soon, if ever.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
That's one battle I hope Microsoft wins. I despise the Real player for its need to litter your hard drive with excess apps.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that RealOne player has to be the most intrusive, obnoxious piece of software I've ever come across.

Todd

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the process of converting over my rm files to something for friendly, probably in the mpeg-1 format.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Comprehensive List of Codecs Supported
Audio Codecs
Microsoft Windows Media Audio codec versions 1.0, 2.0, 7, and 8
G.726 codec
Video Codecs
¤ Microsoft Windows Media Video codec versions 7 and 8
¤ Microsoft Windows Media Screen codec versions 7 and 8
¤ Microsoft MPEG-4 codec version 2.0 and 3.0
¤ ISO MPEG-4 video codec version 1.0
I can make a player in RealBasic to support 99% of media types in no time, yet they can't even support their own or give us codecs to avoid their crap. (Real and MS)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks