1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Playing music on HT via networked computers

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MikeFR, Nov 17, 2003.

1. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Interesting to see if anyone has tried this.

I was considering having a PC(A) which will be located by my HT and networking it with my main computer(B) in another room along with my PS2. What Im wondering is if I would be able to play music files(wma) located on (B), through (A). I want to access them through the network while they are playing. Would this work or would there be lag problems?

Basically I want to have a PC by my HT that can play media from my other comp. I was considering this because I have to set up a router to connect my PS2 anyway and it would save me the trouble of finding a 50ft analog rca cable to hook up my other comp to my receiver. I would have the added benefit of being able to hook up this second PC to my tv and select media from there. I think I would rather invest my money in this rather than a 300 disk cd changer.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Dan Mercier

Dan Mercier Stunt Coordinator

You should have no problem. MP3's are on average
    1mb per minute. So if you think about streaming that on a
    10mb network you should have no problems. The only
    thing I can think of is if PC (B) goes to sleep or anything
    you'd have a short lag time when you try to play your first
    song.

Dan

3. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I currently have all of my mp3s on a PC I use specifically for file storage. I've never experienced any lag when I play these files on my main PC.

John

4. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Thanks guys. Now that that is cleared up, must start looking into the hardware [​IMG].

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Just to hijack the thread a bit [​IMG]

Would a wireless network also be sufficient?

The reason I ask is because I will be moving into my new flat soon and I'm thinking about hanging a wireless hub off my exiting DSL modem/router (or at least doing something that achieves the same result). I'd like to have a wireless PC in with the HT equipment and do exactly what Mike is suggesting.

I basically know little about wireless except that it's more expensive and less speedy than wired.

?

6. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

I'm using a wireless network (D-Link DI-624) and haven't experienced any problems with lag when playing mp3s. My desktop is hardwired to the router and my server is using a wireless card.

John

7. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

I was considering wireless but I have most of the equipment already and I can get wire for cheap so I figured I'd stay with the old fasioned way [​IMG].