Playing dvd-r on Samsung hd841

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dennis Tester, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Dennis Tester

I traded in a Samsung hd 931 for hd 841 reason being I was having problems with the unit playing dvd-r. Got the new hd 841 and I am still having the same problems. I put the dvd-r's on my 5 year old Pioneer dvd player and no probs at all. Does anyone have an explanation for this ? The dvd-r's even play in my truck with out a problem.

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Dennis, I have the same unit and the DVD-R will play but the disc has got to be FINALIZED. The manual clearly states that some DVD-R as well as CD-R/CD-RW may not play depending on "disc type or recording conditions." I know that the unit will play the DVD+R/+RW discs that I have recorded on my Gateway DVDR with no problems whatsoever. I have played some DVD-R discs that were recorded on DVD-R blanks; I can't remember the brand though.

3. Dennis Tester

Thanks Chuck.. but do you know why they play in all my other players with out a problem but not on these units ?

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, all I can tell you is that certain players will either play DVD-R or DVD+R and some units are equipped to handle either. I have 2 Panasonic players and neither will play a DVD+R/RW. However, every Sony player I have put them into will. I think the answer is the format, it is kinda like the VHS, Beta thing. Do a search on the formats through Yahoo! or Google and you will see that, Sony and I believe Phillips developed the DVD+R/RW format and the developer of the DVD-R/RW was developed by some other company and first released in 1999 by Pioneer. I do know, that a RW DVD will play in most any player without being "finalized" where an R will not, except in the machine in which it was created. I'll bet if you put in a DVD-RW into your machine it will play. Check out this link and it will tell you what you need to know.

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.1