What's new

Playing dvd-r on Samsung hd841 (1 Viewer)

I traded in a Samsung hd 931 for hd 841 reason being I was having problems with the unit playing dvd-r. Got the new hd 841 and I am still having the same problems. I put the dvd-r's on my 5 year old Pioneer dvd player and no probs at all. Does anyone have an explanation for this ? The dvd-r's even play in my truck with out a problem.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Dennis, I have the same unit and the DVD-R will play but the disc has got to be FINALIZED. The manual clearly states that some DVD-R as well as CD-R/CD-RW may not play depending on "disc type or recording conditions." I know that the unit will play the DVD+R/+RW discs that I have recorded on my Gateway DVDR with no problems whatsoever. I have played some DVD-R discs that were recorded on DVD-R blanks; I can't remember the brand though.

Thanks Chuck.. but do you know why they play in all my other players with out a problem but not on these units ?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, all I can tell you is that certain players will either play DVD-R or DVD+R and some units are equipped to handle either. I have 2 Panasonic players and neither will play a DVD+R/RW. However, every Sony player I have put them into will. I think the answer is the format, it is kinda like the VHS, Beta thing. Do a search on the formats through Yahoo! or Google and you will see that, Sony and I believe Phillips developed the DVD+R/RW format and the developer of the DVD-R/RW was developed by some other company and first released in 1999 by Pioneer. I do know, that a RW DVD will play in most any player without being "finalized" where an R will not, except in the machine in which it was created. I'll bet if you put in a DVD-RW into your machine it will play. Check out this link and it will tell you what you need to know.

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks