What's new

Playing DTS CD's?? (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I've seen CD's encoded with DTS.

Can you play one of these CDs in a DVD player (DTS capable) that is hooked up to a DTS decoder?

Or are CD's encoded with DTS a different format entirely?

Thanks.
JimmyK

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Jimmy,

There are only two things you need to play DTS CD's in DTS: a CD player with some sort of digital output and a DTS decoder. Thus, any DVD player that plays CDs (I think virtually every DVD player) can playback your DTS CDs. By the way, these discs sound great! Have fun!

AJ Garman

SteveP

Second Unit
The DTS decoder is usually in the receiver--and, yes, they sound great. The DTS AIDA I have, blows the roof off my building!

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Not every DVD player will read DTS CD's. My Old Oritron DVD100 from July 2001 will not read DTS Cd's while my Samsung DVDN501 reads & plays DTS cd's.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Not every DVD player will read DTS CD's. My Old Oritron DVD100 from July 2001 will not read DTS Cd's while my Samsung DVDN501 reads & plays DTS cd's.
Ok,now I'm confused again. Perhaps more detail about my system might help.

I have a Toshiba SD6200 DVD player and a Rotel RCD961 CD player. The Toshiba has a DTS logo on it, the Rotel does not. Both players have a digital coax output.

I am planing on purchasing a new pre/proc that will include a DTS decoder among it's surround modes.

So, given this setup, will I be able to play DTS music CD's?

If so, what's a good source for titles?

Thanks again for eveyone's help!
JimmyK

PS- Things were so much more simple back in the 2 channel/audio only days!:wink:

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Try the Rotel first (also if it has a digital-out volume control--some players do--then be sure it's at 0 dB line level). Many DVD players are not that good when it comes to being a CD transport.

The DTS Digital Out logo on the DVD player only has to do with DTS DVDs.

DTS CD's are regular CD's but the DTS bitstream is embedded in the PCM track. Be sure you don't inadvertently switch to the analog outputs of your DVD or CD player while playing a DTS CD. The white noise generated from the player's DACs trying to decode the DTS bitstream as PCM will damage your speakers at higher volumes.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks