What's new

playing dolby atmos files from blu ray player via USB/Hard disk (1 Viewer)

batman98

Grip
Real Name
annu
hii
i am unable to get atmos audio from my player via USB. the video plays but there isnt an audio from the speakers. i have a pioneer blu ray player

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
USB? Did you mean HDMI?

You usually can't get audio from a USB connection on disc players.

And for actual Atmos surround sound, you definitely need to use HDMI connected to an Atmos capable receiver (or processor).

What exactly do you actually have for your setup?

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've found that often when playing files, the receiver/processor won't lock onto an HD soundtrack, so you get video and no audio. The solution I've found is to switch to a different soundtrack, then back to the Atmos one. I don't know what you do if there isn't another soundtrack. Also, if the previous file you played was Atmos, it seems to be more likely to lock onto the Atmos soundtrack.

All I can figure is that discs have some kind of flag that signals the processor, which seems to be missing in files.

batman98

Grip
Real Name
annu
I've found that often when playing files, the receiver/processor won't lock onto an HD soundtrack, so you get video and no audio. The solution I've found is to switch to a different soundtrack, then back to the Atmos one. I don't know what you do if there isn't another soundtrack. Also, if the previous file you played was Atmos, it seems to be more likely to lock onto the Atmos soundtrack.

All I can figure is that discs have some kind of flag that signals the processor, which seems to be missing in files.
basically i have 7.1 setup with marrantz SR 6012 with pioneer blu ray player BDP-120
the player plays atmos when played via a blu ray cd but when i play a dolby video from USB i dont get any sound
i get dts hd via USB. when its atmos i get no sound

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I explained what I have found to be a workaround. I guess you can take it or leave it. I'm also using a Marantz. In this case an AV7703 preamp. Maybe it is just Atmos soundtracks, not all HD ones. It's been a while since I did that. When I switch to a different soundtrack, let it lock on, then back to the Atmos in the players audio menu, it always works. Then I can start the file again.

batman98

Grip
Real Name
annu
Well, I explained what I have found to be a workaround. I guess you can take it or leave it. I'm also using a Marantz. In this case an AV7703 preamp. Maybe it is just Atmos soundtracks, not all HD ones. It's been a while since I did that. When I switch to a different soundtrack, let it lock on, then back to the Atmos in the players audio menu, it always works. Then I can start the file again.
thanks for the information. i read somewhere that mkv fromat is not supported for atmos

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
thanks for the information. i read somewhere that mkv fromat is not supported for atmos
It is. I don't know about the player, but I play MKVs with Atmos all the time.

MKV is just a container for the file. It doesn't tell you all that much about what is in the container.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
basically i have 7.1 setup with marrantz SR 6012 with pioneer blu ray player BDP-120
the player plays atmos when played via a blu ray cd but when i play a dolby video from USB i dont get any sound
i get dts hd via USB. when its atmos i get no sound

This would require bitstreaming, which is not supported over USB on Panasonic players.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This would require bitstreaming, which is not supported over USB on Panasonic players.
A variable I wasn't considering. I use an Oppo BDP-103 for MKV files. I do have a Panasonic UB-820 as well, so I might just try it to see if it works. I don't have a Pioneer to compare with.

batman98

Grip
Real Name
annu
It is. I don't know about the player, but I play MKVs with Atmos all the time.

MKV is just a container for the file. It doesn't tell you all that much about what is in the container.
so the fault is with the blu ray player?
any good players which can play these files you would suggest?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I tell you what, the intricacies of what files which player can play can be infuriating.

Have you tried my solution? Because that was happening with an Oppo player, which plays everything under the sun. I mean, if you'd rather buy a new player than at least try it.

Maybe I'll give it a try with the Panasonic, just to see...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
i just need to upgrade my player nthn can be done?
If your goal is to play Atmos content through USB then I believe that is the case. Does your particular player have a 2nd USB port on the rear? If so, maybe give that a try. Like @JohnRice , I'll see how my Panny 820 handles this later tonight and report back.

batman98

Grip
Real Name
annu
I tell you what, the intricacies of what files which player can play can be infuriating.

Have you tried my solution? Because that was happening with an Oppo player, which plays everything under the sun. I mean, if you'd rather buy a new player than at least try it.

Maybe I'll give it a try with the Panasonic, just to see...
i actually downloaded the dolby atmos demo videos . they dont have a second audiotrack so thats an issue. it will be helpful if you tell me a website from where i can download atmos demo videos and give it a try

batman98

Grip
Real Name
annu
If your goal is to play Atmos content through USB then I believe that is the case. Does your particular player have a 2nd USB port on the rear? If so, maybe give that a try. Like @JohnRice , I'll see how my Panny 820 handles this later tonight and report back.
yup it does. I tried it i still dont get audio if its atmos.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This was using an Oppo BDP-103 which does play back more types of files than most players, so that could be a factor.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...sorry... I forgot how much variation there is in how different players handle files, and what they can play. That was a reason I bought the Oppo. For greatest flexibility in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks