Playing CDs Through a Denon3803: Digital or Analog?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ScottCHI, Feb 22, 2004.

1. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

hi. i use my relatively cheap sony combo dvd/cd player to play both my dvds and standard cds. i have been wondering whether i should use my digital connection (optical) when playing standard cds or should i use analog RCA connectors? initially, i was under the impression that i should use the player's analog connectors for cds, as that way, the signal both enters and exits the receiver as an analog signal, and it also undergoes the fewest D/A or A/D conversions (i think). however, the question is complicated by the fact that the denon 3803 has the AL24 (alpha24) circuitry that is supposed to "do something" (beats me) special to 2 channel digital input.

how should i play my cds?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

As long as you are just 2 channel, analog signals to the mains remain analog in the 3803. (The sub's signal does get converted to digital and back to analog for Stereo and Direct but not Pure Direct. And, the sub can be defeated for each of these modes individually if you want.)

As for which is better, let your ears be your guide. Go with whatever sounds better to you...

Here is a link to AL24 that will do a better job explaining it. (If it asks to download Japanese characters, say no.)

3. Lanny Hoff

Lanny Hoff Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3803 and a Panasonic dvd player, and I always let the 3803 do the Digital to Analong conversion. The DAC's in the Denon are probably better than any stand-alone CD player under $500 (my wild, numbers-out-my-ass guess) so why not just do it that way?

I don't even have analog cables hooked up.

Hey, Chuck, can you repost that link? It did not show up. I'd been keen to read all about it.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are using a cheap player, I'd have to agree with the above, the 3803 likely has better DACs, so go digital.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

You should try both connections and decide for yourself which one sounds better to you. Theoretically, a digital connection to the 3803, using its DACs as opposed to those of your player, should be superior in this case, but there's no accounting for taste.

It's easy enough to try both and choose.

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Just for refference the 3803 uses the same dacs as the DVD-2200 universal player from Denon,only more of them,16 in total!

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yeah, i'm actually eyeing that player really hard right now

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 2200 is a great player for the price, I'm very pleased with mine.

9. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

thanks! i think i can feel that money burning on through that little hole in my pocket right now, as i type!

10. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

11. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

I have that Denon DVD-2200. The audio reproduction is excellent and the video is superb. I thought anything with Faroudja processing is IT but the player's video is bright, clear and clean. Audio wise, I use it for all mediums, be it CD, SACD or DVD-Audio which it performs nicely. Great little unit at its price point.

12. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

As I got caught up in the DVD-2200 opinions, I totally bypassed the gist of this thread. If you have a high-end processor or even a mid-priced one at that, it is safe to assume that its DACs are superior to the stand-alone CD player provided it is a cheap one at that. My dos centavos!

13. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    Chuck Kent, thanks for the great link. Really explains Alpha 24 in a nutshell and has great pictures.