playing Asian DVD's in HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nitin_kakkar, May 21, 2002.

1. Nitin_kakkar

Nitin_kakkar Extra

Hi
    I have an Apex dvd player, which can read both NTSC & PAL DVD and a TV which can also dispaly both NTSC & PAL videos.

But in my HT setup I have Sherwood Receiver which has video switching mode of NTSC only.

I am wondring if I can play Asian DVD's which are PAL encoded. Can anyone please tell me the setup to play asian DVD thru Receiver.

Also does video switching format matters in receivers?

Tx
    Nitin

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The reciever should just be passing the signal, it shouldn't be a problem as far as I know

What asian DVDs are you playing? The only country in Asia that uses PAL for DVD to my knowlege is India. Hong Kong and Japan are NTSC

3. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

My guess is he is using Indian DVD's. I have been playing Indian DVD's for a while now without any problems.

4. Nitin_kakkar

Nitin_kakkar Extra

Ya I am trying to play Indian DVD but picture scrolls voilanly when i connect thru Receiver, Wondering whats wrong in my setup.

5. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

Does the sherwood also support on-screen display, as in it shows you the volume level or similar stuff on the tv-display? If so, that might be your problem because in order to do OSD it has to process the video signal, add in the OSD and then send a new video signal out. If it doesn't know how to process PAL, you may be SOL. Unless you can convince your player to output the PAL disc in NTSC format, some of them are able to do that, don't know if yours is.

6. LinChen

LinChen Agent

Jeff, mainland China, with a population of 1.3 billion, also uses pal.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Are you sure you have the APEX set to output properly? Try the P/N button

LinChen they use PAL on their DVDs tho? I know China and HK use PAL for broadcasts, but I thought the DVDs were all NTSC

In any case, most Chinese movies come out of HK anyway, at least those outside China would probably be interested in

8. LinChen

LinChen Agent

Yes.The region 6 DVD is pal. However, the pirated stuff is a different story.