Playing 2-channel w/ digital coax cable?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I have a toshiba older dvd player, a yamaha rxv-440 receiver, and a pair of boston acoustics speakers. I set my reciever to know that I only have 2 speakers. Now when I first hooked it up I just hooked up the digital coax cable and poped in a movie and it didnt do anything. Then I hooked up an analog connection also and it works fine. Does that mean a digital coax cable wont send stereo to the receiver?

Reason I ask is I dont want 2 different cables hanging out back there, and I have a better digital coax cable than analog cables and I dont want to go buy anymore cables right now.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm not sure why you didn't get sound through the digital connection. Probably a configuration issue with your receiver.

With two speakers, you will want to take advantage of your player's ability to downmix 5.1 tracks for 2-channel output. That ability works on the analog outputs; I'm not sure if it's available on the digital output (and if it is, you'd need to change the player's output option to PCM).

M.

3. Paul_A

Paul_A Extra

Make sure that you have the digital out option selected in the setup menu of your dvd player when using the coax cable.

4. John S

John S Producer

Make sure the DVD player is set to PCM too, especially if you hear nothing at all...

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You shouldn't need to set it to PCM, but that should guarantee you stereo via digital. The thing you need to check is that you have the digital input assigned to the source you are using, which it doesn't sound like you have done. You typically cannot connect both analog and digital fron a single source to the same input, and/or you may have the digital input you are using assigned to a different source.

The player will not do this automatically, but since the receiver knows there are only two speakers, it should take care of it in much the same way. Also, if you select the stereo track on the disc, if available (normally there is), there will be no issue.