Player or DIsc problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Alan Howard, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Alan Howard

Alan Howard Extra

Last night we rented a movie called "View from the Top" (chick flick) and had nothing but problems. I have an older (2 or 3 yrs) Samsung DVD player that refused to load this disc. Tried several times, tried other discs which worked, and then took it back. Picked up a different copy and it also refused to work. I finally gave up and we rented "Owning Mahoney", which was excellent. But, I was wondering what the problem was with the other flick. Was it just a compatibility with my player and that particular disc? The owner of the store said she had only seen this happen when the player in question was a Playstation2.

Any thoughts?

2. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

Alan - I've had the same type of problems with my older JVC DVD Player (701BK) trying to watch Scary Movie, and the Alias S1 disks. Luckily I have a newer Sony Megachanger that played these disks with no problems. I've heard of others with the same types of problems with some Disney flicks and the Little House on the Prairie disks. I think most are authored by Buena Vista.

I check who produced "View From the Top", and lo and behold it's Buena Vista also. They must do something different in the authoring techniques that makes these uncompatible with certain DVD players.

Not that this helps, but it least you know what to avoid when looking for movies to rent.

3. Alan Howard

Alan Howard Extra

My player problem Update:

Thursday night I rented Jurassic Park III and JFK director's Cut. First I had the same problem with Jurassic Park but I wiped it off and loaded and played correctly. Then I tried JFK. I loaded it at least a dozen times without success. Jurassic Park would load as would LOTR Two Towers, Reloaded, LOTR Fellowship, and Widespread Panic Live from The Backyard.

Then I remembered that I have a CD player cleaning disk. I used it on my DVD player and now JFK will load every time. I guess it was just dirty. Any thoughts.....

4. Cahyo Wicaksono

Cahyo Wicaksono Stunt Coordinator

Or try Denon DVD-910

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Though certain discs present problems with certain players from time to time it is absolutely essential that every disc you feed your player is as clean as possible — smudge- and scratch-free.