player generated subtitles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Naglieri, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

I've noticed in some films recently that have had burned in subtitles in the theatrical print the subtitles are removed for the dvd release and replaced with very generic subtitles created by the dvd player.

I'm wondering if this is the case in other regions as well?

In particular the films in question are Star Wars 1 & 2, and XXX.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...it's a pretty smart DVD player that 'creates' subtitles... I can see it now:
    the tiny little guy sitting inside the player, typing away like mad at his miniature keyboard to try and keep up with what's being said on-screen...

. . . [​IMG] . . .

3. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

sorry I'm a bit tired and worded that improperly. What I actually mean is how the player displays the subtitles that are on the dvd.

the burned in subtitles are removed from the print as seen in theaters and replaced with these really crappy looking subtitles.

I'm sure many other people here in the states know what I am referring too.

So basically what I am asking is if other regions have this problem as well or are the dvd's in question or if they are presented as seen in theaters.

I hope this clear it up.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you're asking why it's done, it's simple

This way they compress the film once and don't need to recompress the little sections that have text in them that needs to be changed

It's not a good thing, but that's the reason

5. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

Matt

Yes I know what you meant, and I don't think your wording was bad, but pedants are a worldwide phenomenon.

In the UK, we get a lot of player-generated subs and captions, mainly because of the different languages spoken in the R2 area. It means they don't have to press discs unique to each country. I can't stand the things myself and try to avoid them whenever possible. For this reason alone I have imported Fellowship of the Rings and Hedwig and the Angry Inch from the USA, and not bought other R2 titles that I might have otherwise. I know it's a bit anal, but they really look awful and I'm concerned to see that this trend is now being adopted more in R1 land, I believe XXX has player-created captions, which is a shame.

The only answer is for studios to put more effort into the captions, designing sympathetic typefaces and making them fade in and out, rather than just pop on and off. I saw the coloured pop-ups on Spiderman R2; they looked much better and faded in and out, so it must be possible.