Player Generated Subtitles and Charlie's Angels II

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Neil S. Bulk, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I just finished watching the "unrated" widescreen edition of Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and wanted to point out that all of the subtitles on the disc are player generated. This usually doesn't bother me, but there are two instances in this film where it's obvious that the film is altered. The subtitles are fine for text that is translating dialogue or pointing out a location, but at two points in the film characters are introduced ("Ray Carter, U.S. Marshal" and "William Rose Bailey, Department of Justice") and theatrically these names were typed out on screen, but here they just appear in the black bar while the typing sound effect is still heard. This is really sloppy and shows why the studios still haven't quite grasped the whole player generated subtitle thing yet.

Neil

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I don't know why Columbia does this. The first Charlie's Angels movie had player generated subs and Black Hawk Down. When the Superbit counterparts come out the subtitles are burned in the film print as in the theatrical presentation. Why can't they just do it right from the beginning.

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The could make player generated subs type onto the screen just fine.

4. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

The SuperBits still have player generated subs.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Wow- they REALLY don't want me to see this movie! Can't even get the theatrical cut of this unless it's in pan n scan!

6. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I was watching the r4 DVD of Spinal Tap the other night. That always annoys me, because most of the titles are player generated, but a couple are burnt in.

For crying out loud, make up your mind.

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

You'll notice that most Columbia titles have a berserk array of subtitles (English, French, Spanish, Korean, Thai, Japanese, etc. and some Malaysian dialect I've never even heard of crops up on some discs). This is all tied together. To save money, they just repackage the same disc for several other regions, which is why they do the shitty subtitle trick instead of leaving the proper burned-in subtitles. Call it a side effect of free trade.

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

9. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"If they keep the burned-in subtitles and release it in a foreign country where English is not the first language, it would be awkward."

Tough! If I were watching a French movie subtitled in English, I'd put up with seeing onscreen text as it appeared in the original film, along with any English subtitles needed to translate it. Those watching an English movie in another language should be able to put up with the same.
    Yes, Goldmember is a perfect example of why this sort of thing should be left alone!

11. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

12. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

the subs aren't bad, but the green screen muddy looking effects are.

hardly any detail in them - same as cinema print?

13. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm watching a new Steven Seagal DVD (Out for a Kill...and don't laugh at me; I'm watching it for review [​IMG] ) and I've noticed a funny thing:

The "location" subtitles are player generated, yet the little electronic typing sound is still there on the movie's soundtrack! [​IMG]

14. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I was thinking about this a bit more.

(1) Player generated subs would be okay as long as they replicated what is in the movie. If a film uses a nice font (like the font used for translating Elvish in LOTR), try to replicate that font in the generated subtitles. Plain Arial font isn't good enough. As already mentioned, if the text is presented in a particular way (like the whole typing thing already discussed), create that effect on the player generated subs.

(2) The other alternative? If you really want to avoid having English subtitles when watching in a different language - how about using seamless branching. They did it with the opening crawl in Star Wars - the crawl was in whichever language the subtitle selection was chosen. If you think seamless branching will be too problematic, try including these scenes as an alternate angle that is locked depending on which subtitle or language you choose.

But whatever you do, make sure the presentation of the film is in line with what we saw in cinemas. Put some effort into the use of subtitles, and we will appreciate it.

15. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor