What's new

Player and layer change delays etc. etc. (1 Viewer)

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
I've a JVC 500BK Progressive scan player. I love the picture the sound and everything BUT... The layer change takes 1 to 2 seconds, and if the DVD has minor scratches (rented) It really seems to choke the player.

I explained this to the guy at Ultimate Electronics & he says it's common. He stated that he himself has an "$800 player" and it does the same thing. Is he being honest? Wouldn't a player with a xx megabyte buffer remedy the layer change delay?

Is there a player that has a smoother layer change, and not so dependent on a pristine disc for around $500ish?

Thanks in advance.

Han

Second Unit
Yes.
Okay, you probably want a more detailed answer than that.:D
Yes, he's honest. I'm sure the usual suspect will chime in on this topic, but if you want, you should do a search, search, search on "layer change" or "layer pause" on this forum. You'll get older threads that'll help.
Players that come to mind $500 and below... Denon 1600, Denon 300, Apex players, and I think a Samsung player or two. Except for the Denon 1600, I don't think the limitations/problems of those other players outweigh their fast layer changing capability.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Some players do a much better job than others on the layer change. I have a sony player that goes pretty quick. I have watched a movie on a JVC player once at a friends house and the LC was about 3x longer than my sony. I have heard Denon's are one of the fastest. Haven't tested them myself though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks