Player and layer change delays etc. etc.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff H, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

Aug 29, 2002
    I've a JVC 500BK Progressive scan player. I love the picture the sound and everything BUT... The layer change takes 1 to 2 seconds, and if the DVD has minor scratches (rented) It really seems to choke the player.

I explained this to the guy at Ultimate Electronics & he says it's common. He stated that he himself has an "$800 player" and it does the same thing. Is he being honest? Wouldn't a player with a xx megabyte buffer remedy the layer change delay?

Is there a player that has a smoother layer change, and not so dependent on a pristine disc for around $500ish?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Han

Han Second Unit

Jan 13, 2001
    Okay, you probably want a more detailed answer than that.[​IMG]
    Yes, he's honest. I'm sure the usual suspect will chime in on this topic, but if you want, you should do a search, search, search on "layer change" or "layer pause" on this forum. You'll get older threads that'll help.
    Players that come to mind $500 and below... Denon 1600, Denon 300, Apex players, and I think a Samsung player or two. Except for the Denon 1600, I don't think the limitations/problems of those other players outweigh their fast layer changing capability.
  3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jun 4, 2001
    Jeff Lam
    Some players do a much better job than others on the layer change. I have a sony player that goes pretty quick. I have watched a movie on a JVC player once at a friends house and the LC was about 3x longer than my sony. I have heard Denon's are one of the fastest. Haven't tested them myself though.