played with gameboy advance SP today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Mar 1, 2003.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Went up to electronic boutique today and asked the guy if/when they might be receiving demo units and he said its all up to nintendo and their rep doesn't know. But then he pulled one from the counter that he imported and let me take it for a spin. The screen is really great and the thing is SOOO small and light. I want one.

2. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Let a couple of customers today check out my GBA:SP too. One said she was going to go home and brag to her son that she got to play with one; the other decided to wait for the GBA:SP instead of buying a regular GBA for his son. . . [​IMG]

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I can't wait for mine...

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

So how much better is the screen than a GBA? Even better with an Afterburner installed?

5. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I've never played with an Afterburned-GBA, so I can't compare them directly, but I'm very, very impressed so far with the screen on the GBASP. There really is no reason to turn the light off, unless maybe if you're outside on a really sunny day or something. The lighting seems very even across the whole screen and there are none of the "trapezoid" problems that the Afterburners apparently have (from the pics I've seen). The sound from the unit is much fuller, as well, which I guess is mostly due to the speaker now being in the center as opposed to off on the side.

It only took about two whole hours to charge the battery completely the first time. Every game I've tried in it so far (GBA, GBC, and GB) works great, and the E-Reader works just fine, too.

I hardly ever played my old GBA because the screen was just so obnoxiously hard-to-see, but I'm really going to be able to start playing more now. Almost done with Metroid Fusion at the moment. . . [​IMG]

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I never tried one with the afterburner either, but I did briefly play with a friends GBA just after he bought it and couldn't play it at all because I couldn't see it right off the bat. But the new one was great and I didn't have any problems at all. The lighting looked very even.

If I were to have one wish now it would be for a bigger screen.

7. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

March 22nd can't come fast enough!!!!!

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'd really like to test drive one of these things, but I think that I'd be hard pressed to beat my ABed GBA. The only problem I've had with it so far is a bit of dust creep, which is inevitable since by installing the afterburner you're broken the seal on the screen. Still, it's not that bad, and I can always take it apart again if I need to fix it.

My concern with the SP is that the rechargable batteries are not only proprietary, but will also have a finite life (and we have no idea how long replacements will be available for). There's also the headphone jack issue, which really wouldn't have been an issue if they'd just gone and included the adapter with the unit (they bothered to put in the AC adapter, why not the headphone one!).

9. DavidQc

DavidQc Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys...
    Sorry for the ignorance, but what is the afterburner for the GBA?
    I have not been keeping up with things for the GBA.
    Am I outgrowing it already?
    [​IMG]

And would anyone have links to information regarding the afterburner?

Also, why aren't prices dropping for the GBA? I'd have to think carefully before buying the new one for $100.

Thanks.
    -David
    [​IMG]

10. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

The Afterburner was an after market modification that could be done to a GBA so that it had a front lit screen.

I had one done and I couldn't have been happier with the results.

11. David Ely

Well ... it's official. I have absolutely no self control. I just ordered a GBA SP from overseas. If all goes well, it should be here by Friday (next Monday latest).

12. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

13. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

It's the battery issues that bother me. There has been many times that I'm sitting there and the battery goes dead in my GBA now. I'd hate to have that happen and not have a place to charge it.

Glen

14. David Ely

Okay ... got my GBA SP today. Why isn't there a smilie to represent wetting yourself? [​IMG]

This is what the GBA should have been to begin with. While the unit is quite tiny, it's very comfortable to hold. With the screen flipped down, it's about the size of an average wallet containing a few credit cards and little cash (ya, I'm broke but I got an SP early).

What it really comes down to is the light. Finally, I can play a game without worrying about glare from a Worm Light. The installed light doesn't have the 'washed out' look of the Afterburner light. It provides very even light over the entire screen.

The sound also seems to be improved. I'm guessing that a slightly better speaker has been putting the SP. Also, the center placement for the speaker is a definite improvement.

So far I'm really pleased with the unit. When I go home later, I'm going to see what it's like in complete darkness. I could turn off the lights at work, but some co-workers might not be happy [​IMG]