What's new

Played with Avia a bit today, my findings with my STF-2… (1 Viewer)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I finally got Avia along with an SPL meter for Christmas, today I decided to play with it a bit, but did not do a full calibration. One reason for that is my Sony receiver sucks! It does not allow you to adjust many of the things needed in order to do a proper calibration such as sub crossover level or the loudness of individual speaker levels. But I did get to find out where my subs level should be, and it ended up being on the third hash mark (out of 7) or at 10:30, however you want to look at it. Now the funny thing here is that is where I always used to set it when watching movies, sometimes a bit hotter at 11:00, I found it pretty surprising that I had my subs level correctly set by ear, but that was good to know. I was also happy to find that the sub is pretty flat in my room, response is pretty flat from 100-60 Db’s, it does have a big dip at around 88 Hz though, then once it goes below 60 it gets considerably louder than the 100-60 Db range, but from 60-30 Hz it pretty much remains within 2 Db’s with a 4 Db slight bump in the 32-38 Hz region (which is very deep BTW). The once it goes below 30 Hz output drops off by around 4-6 Db, but was surprised to see that the sub has usable output down to 23 Hz. Anyway no real point to this thread, I am just happy that my room does not have anything crazy going on with it and now that I know how to use the meter I can experiment with a few sub placement options to see if they work better. O yeah there are a few pictures of my setup in the link below so you can see where the sub is located.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser=7452843

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Did you use the RS meter corrections for your numbers?

12Hz add 16.5dB
16Hz add 11.5dB
20Hz add 7.5dB
25Hz add 5dB
31.5Hz add 3dB
40Hz add 2.5dB
50Hz add 1.5dB
63Hz add 1.5dB
80Hz add 1.5dB
100Hz add 2dB
125Hz add .5dB

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Nope, damn I totally forgot about that, thanks. So at 25 Hz the sub is only down by a Db or two, very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks