Played Civilization 3 for the first time

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Mar 29, 2002.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

This is the very first strat game I have ever played in my 15 years of gaming...I must say I am TOTALLY ADDICTED. Since I am an FPS & roleplaying guy I always thought of stat games slow and boring. I was terribly wrong and realized I have missed out on great games in this genre. Where's what I need from other strat players...

1) What other games do you recommend

2) Strategies to use.

My current game, I am trying to "U.S." about foreign relations, but Russia has declared war on me (though I am overseas and they haven't boats to get to me yet) and formed alliances with another country all because I wouldn't trade silk.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I actually prefer CivII to CivIII. The graphics aren't as pretty, but the gameplay is 10 times better. CivIII's biggest problem is that that time doesn't match up right. When Gunpowder is just discovered in the year 1989, there's something wrong. Maybe they've patched this... I don't know.

3. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

they must have... i am in 1882 and i have gunpowder for a while now

4. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

If it's 1989 and you still don't have Gunpowder, it ain't the game...it's the way you're playing.

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Just make sure you get the latest patch. Lots of stuff was out and out broken in the shipped game (I still shudder at the Air Superiority bug)

Otherwise, early expansion. The game's like chess; you shouldn't get in combat during the 'early' stage. Expand like crazy right off the bat, of you WILL be fubared.

6. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Cool - but I gotta say - 15 years and it's your first time playing Civ?

I guess that's good for you - If I had done something else with all those 100's of hours I put into playing Civ....