Playcentric!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodney wiley, Jul 12, 2002.

1. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Playcentric free shipping and a dollar off every item in you order. Hurry, dont know how long it will last but its a pop up on the site[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I'm still a scared to order from them after hear some peoples stories. That and I don't want to pay for a preorder title months before I get it.

They still charge cards when you place the order don't they?

Maybe someday I'll give them a shot.

3. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

well, i placed a small order a few weeks ago and aside from them taking a little longer to ship everything was ok. i emailed them about my order and got a reply within 2 days. although i was surprised when my GameCube game was Canadian...but it plays fine on my system. They did get my Apollo 13 DTS dvd correct (was afraid they'd ship the DD).

4. Noel

Noel Extra

I ordered STNG season 3 on 7/1 it shipped 7/5 & recived it 7/8.But was is no hurry still watching season 1[​IMG]

5. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

If you use the promo code "NL350" it works out better (at least for multiple-item orders); you have to pay shipping, but you get $3.50 off each title. I 've placed 5 multiple-DVD orders with them over the last 6 weeks(approx. 40 DVDs received so far, 4 orders, waiting for 2 backordered items; order #5 shipped), used that code every time. Awesome prices. Pretty slow processing, pretty slow Customer Service responses (but nice/helpful), but I got the DVDs I ordered (e.g., Special Editions etc where ordered), although a few were Canadian versions (same exact disc, additional Canadian rating badge on back of case, Disney titles have "French Included" pre-printed on front of case). No big deal, they play the same, no problems with any of the many discs. They did send one open-box item, but apologized and offered to replace it. I decided to keep it (it was very very cheap, played fine, like-new condition). Overall, pretty pleased, especially happy with the ridiculous savings. Just be prepared to wait a couple of weeks for your DVDs, even with the free shipping upgrade they're offering on 4+ DVDs. I was very hesitant to place that first order with them, due to problems reported in forums like this, but the consensus seemed to be that they've improved dramatically over the last several months. Certainly seems like they're making an effort.

6. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

yup, i just received my second order with them and all was fine. i got my order 7 days from the date i placed it, and all discs were the correct ones (almost famous Bootleg ed, 2 Superbit titles, 1 addtnl DTS). plus, i saved a huuuge amount of money (like $35-40 on 5 dvds vs buying them at Best Buy; about $15-20 vs buying them elsewhere online).

so far, i don't have any real gripes. only thing i can think of is that some people won't like the small chance of canadian packaging (although all the DVDs i've ordered were U.S., my one Gamecube game was canadian).

7. I placed my first order through them for Aliens Legacy set for ~ $46 shipped. Ordered on Tuesday, and got it on saturday (shipped across the US).

no problems for me=)

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Looks like folks are having good luck with their orders. This makes me want to give them a shot on the Stargate S2 set.

One thing will make me not order however. Do they still charge you for a preorder at the time you place the order? I don't wan't to pay now for something that won't be out until September. A lot can happen, especially online, in that amount of time.

Guess it's time to email them and see.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I used Playcentric for the first time recently to take advantage of a great price on Star Trek: TNG Season 3. I received my order by street date, so I was happy enough to pre-order Season 4 at a great price. The downside is that they do in fact charge your credit card upon receiving the order, not when the order ships, like the other online retailers I frequent.

10. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I ordered The Simpsons almost 3 weeks before the street date, I got it a month after street date. There customer service was horrid not to mention that the set was shipped in only a bubble envelope and the corners had some damage.

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I had much the same experience as you, Brett. Haven't ordered from them since.

12. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

I ordered X-Files Season 5 from them on a monday and got it on friday....absolutely no problems, and only $76 delivered.

13. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Just received my 5th order (discussed in prior post this thread), took about a week from the time I placed the order, received everything as ordered. Also received one of the backordered items mentioned previously, which leaves just one item to be delivered of the 40-45 DVDs I've ordered from them in the last month or so. I'm pretty pleased, will order from them again, just waiting for them to re-stock the Ken Burns Baseball set that I missed the first go-round for under $100. Yummy.

14. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Hi Tony, how did you get X-Files Season 5 for that price? The price right now is $80.06 and there is a $1 off and free shipping offer going on right now. An extra 3 dollars off won't hurt!

15. Tom De Rosa

Tom De Rosa Stunt Coordinator

I recently used the NL350 code for a 6 movie order.
    All movies were in stock and I received them 3 days later.

No complaints, just make sure you know if the release is the same as the US one or altered for our friends up north.

16. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Has anyone received their "Smallville" DVD from Playcentric yet? I had it preordered months in advance, but still haven't gotten mine. I sent an email to customer service and they said that once they got them from the supplier, orders would be filled in order received. Oddly, my order Status screen doesn't list it as backordered though.
    Other than this there was only one problem I had with them: I ordered Sirens from them, and it wasn't the Buena Vista version indicated on the site, but another studio. The worst part was it was P&S. They did accept the return though.

17. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Just so everyone knows, A Bug's Life Collector's is back in stock at Playcentric, with the coupon it comes to something like $21.67 shipped. Considering the MSRP is $49.99, this is a great deal.

18. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

Matt,

I noticed image-entertainment lists two versions of the CE:

Bug's Life (Special Edition) 11/06/2001
    Bug's Life (Special Edition/ Old Version) 11/23/1999

The newer special edition has an MSRP of $39.99 and the older one has an MSRP of $49.98. Does anyone know the difference (besides MSRP and release date)?

19. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Well, I placed an order over the weekend that included A Bug's Life Collector's Edition, and the order status this morning shows that title...BACKORDERED. Ack!. Those freakin guys are always showing things in stock that are subsequently listed in your order status as backordered. GRRRRRR! Worse yet, it is still showing up on their site this morning as in-stock!!!! I'm writing an angry e-mail to those jokers. GRRRRRRRR!!!

20. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

That's interesting Andrea, I wasn't aware of two different versions. Normally any different versions would be listed on Amazon or DVD price search but I can't seem to find anything. I'll have to research this.