What's new

Playback of DVDs with multiple surround tracks (1 Viewer)

John Garn

Agent
Many DVDs come with both Dolby Digital and DTS. They also have built-in setup menus from which one can select their sound track of preference for listening. However, I have at least one DVD with multiple surround tracks (DD5.1 and DTS5.1) that has no startup/setup menu at all.
My DVD player's (Toshiba 6200) audio menu only has one setting for digital sources called "Bitstream" so how does one choose to listen to DTS when the player automatically defaults to DD?
From reading the user manuals for the 5700 and 9200, the same condition exists with these players as well.
Since all three of these DVD players decodes DD and DTS can anyone suggest why there is no user selectable menu/setting that would provide for selecting one or the other (DD or DTS) for playback?
The receiver can only play or decode what it is sent (I use optical connectors).
I called a Toshiba CSR and he agreed he could find no way to select DTS as the playback mode unless a setup menu is on the disc.
Seems to me that if Toshiba is really trying to be a leader in DVD players, they have really missed an important, significant feature. Since I have owned no other brands of DVD player I cannot say if other players suffer the same fate. In any case, has anyone out there got any comments or solutions?
(The DVD is Roy Orbisons Black and White Night).

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Have you tried using the "audio" button on the remote?
My Pioneer player (DV-F727 changer) includes an "audio track" selection button on the remote. (So does the 6200 according to the review at Link Removed) Depending on how the DVD disc's software was designed, it can step through the various audio options. Some DVD titles will let you switch among their different audio tracks while the disc is playing. Others will only let you select a different audio track while the disc is paused. And others will only let you select it from their menu.
I'll admit I don't have the disc you mention and I've never tried to use the button to switch between DD and DTS.
I hope this helps a little.

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
I have a Toshiba 3109 and to change the soundtrack using push the 'Audio' button which brings up the output choices you mentioned. If 'bitstream' is what you have selected in the setup menu then that should be the one that pops up first. When you see bitsream you can then press 'up' and 'down' on the remote to change which audio track is playing. If that doesn't work try 'left' and 'right'. There should be a number next to the output name which changes to indicate the soundtrack number. It won't indicate whether it is DD or DTS or a commentary, etc. but you should be able to figure that out.

I'll check to make sure this is how it works when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it is, at least for my player.

Kevin

John Garn

Agent
Kevin-
Many thanks! With bitstream showing push the joystick to the north and bingo!! Wonder why Toshiba doesn't put this in their manual? ...or maybe I'll check just one more time.
Anyway, mucho thanks
John G

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks