What's new

Playback Device Optons (1 Viewer)

telecode101

Auditioning
Real Name
telecode101
Hi, new member here and my first post.

I am looking at recommendations on a new playback device. The one I have (a Samsung BR Player) has started acting up and I suspect its on its last legs. I have had it for quite some time now so perhaps its time to replace it.

I play a lot of physical media. DVDs and BRs. Lot of Criterion's and lots of menu driving and lots of accessing commentaries e.t..c.

What is the current state of players on the market? I am seeing the usual makers such as Sony, Samsung, Phillips, e.t.c. But I am also seeing the option of getting a gaming device such as Xbox or PS.

I don't actually own a 4K TV as most of the content I watch are older films. I also wouldn't mind to also replace the Roku I have and have it in the same unit, (as it too seems to be on its last legs. nd having it in the same unit).

Are recommendations or a well organized web site that compares players on the market.

telecode101

Auditioning
Real Name
telecode101
Budget?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Hmm. not sure. I guess up to $200 Canadian. But to be honest, I have never owned any high end player components so I am not sure what the benefit is in getting those high end components. I see various Denon and Onyko players in the $500 range. Will the audio be any clearer with them? One of the issues I have found with some newer titles is, I turn up the volume to get clearer dialog and keep turning down volume during special effects and music blasts.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
One thing you should get with a more expensive player is better long-term reliability, compared to something that costs $59.95.

Pioneer and Yamaha are typically regarded to be reliable brands.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks