What's new

Play Maker Football (PMFB) (1 Viewer)

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
I played this religiously about 10 years ago. Still one of the best football games I've seen. Sure, it was just Xs and Ox on screen, but it was as close to real football strategy as I've seen. I didn't know PMFB still existed. Details?

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
I was a real nut. They're still Link Removed. I got an email announcing that they're looking for beta testers for a new stat program.
If you are a serious nut for the game, you cannot go wrong with PMFB (Play Maker Football). This is the only football simulation that allows you to design your own plays, and create/draft your players based on *your* philosophy. No pre-made players! You can build a power running team by giving your skill points to the o-line, &c.
If you are vet who hasn't seen it, the new version looks GREAT, and includes the 2-pt rule change. There are still some peculiarties/difficulties containing the option; and the long ball still works "too" well. You can approximate zone blocking with the pass blocking icon. Some of the Mac playbooks have been ported, too, which is pretty cool for the beginner.
If you haven't tried it, you really owe it to yourself to take a look. Also, look for a link to Bo Fulgin. He's a real nut, and very helpful. There a leagues all over so that you can pit yourself against other coaches. Some teams have OCs and DCs too, so the leagues are very much like the real thing.

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
I just played this game and found it had NOTHING on Madden. Graphically or strategically. If it was cheaper I would be more enthusiastic.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Sorta depends on what you're looking for. PMFB is a STRATEGY game. You can write your own plays! e.g., you're not stuck with 1-9 SE routes, but can build unusal patterns to exploit different kinds of zones unique to the game. And you can build a team based on your philosphy on winning.

I once built an entire playbook based on the shotgun; and while effective for the long ball, it was also a high risk offense prone to a large number of turnovers. You can experiment, and produce the team that YOU want!

These are features not available in Madden. Madden has its strengths, of course, and I enjoy it as much as the next guy. But if you're really interested in Xs and Os, choose PMFB.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
But if you're really interested in Xs and Os, choose PMFB
You got that right. PMFB is the thinking person's football sim. Any boy can master Madden in about 15 minutes. It takes a man to design the perfect 27 Slide All-Slant and know when to run it for 25 yards and a TD!

As Pudding Patterson used to say: "Cat say 'hup!' Crowd go 'woo-eee!'

(And if you don't recognize that line, what kind of football fan ARE you?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks