What's new

Play.com and LOTR Extended DVD Version. (1 Viewer)

Mike Baks

Auditioning
Hi,
I'm a regular DVD (reg. 1) buyer at www.play.com
If there are any fellow play.com customers here, aren't you guys wondering why we still can't pre-order 'Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Extended DVD Version (4 Disc Set)'.
If anyone here knows why, please let me know.
This 4 Disc set is expected on November 12 and is definitely on the top of my wish list.
I guess if www.play.com isn't going to sell this set, then I’m just going to buy it at www.dvdboxoffice.com

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Mike
Welcome to the Forums, and there is always www.dvdsoon.com another Canadian E-tailer that is one of the better ones, and usually have it at a more competitive price than Play
Groetjes
Oscar
:emoji_thumbsup:

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Mike, why don't you just email play and ask them ? they usually reply within 1 or 2 days. or phone for an immediate answer. much more effective i think.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Another Dutchman here....
Play.com always stocks the Canadian version. Since the MSRP for the Canadian release has not been set yet, I think that's the reason Play doesn't have it up for pre-order.
DVD Soon has it up for preorder, but Dv-Depot and AbSound (both also Canadian) don't have a price yet, so I assume DVD Soon is just guessing. Check out Link Removed at the Dv-Depot Forum for confirmation.....

Brendon

Second Unit
Andy_mt,

I took the liberty of emailing play.com some weeks back regarding this particular release. (I also asked about R1 AOTC not being available for preorder.) I received a stock reply saying:

"Hi there,

Thankyou for your email.

We have put your suggestion forward to the relevant department. They will investigate into this idea and will publish the item on the website if we decide to get it.

We hope this is of help.

Kind Regards

Play"

Whilst this has the all the hallmarks of a stock response, I suspect the preorder will materialise due to the sheer demand for this title. (With the exception of some older and more obscure titles, I've found the company to be extremely reliable - I'm not affiliated in anyway, melely a happy customer.)

Incidently I'm not sure if this thread would be more appropriately located in either Vendor/Supplier feedback or some such.

Cheers,

Brendon

Mike Baks

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies guys.
Like Brendon, I also mailed PLAY and got the same response.
So I guess we just have to wait this out and see what happens.
I only hope this set here is going to be part of my DVD collection very soon:

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered mine from Amazon.com. Not only is it cheaper, I am also making sure I don't get one of those inventive french covers... :angry:

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Well, the R2 one is available (which is what I would be ordering), but I guess that's not what you're looking for...

Brendon

Second Unit
Sean,

I think the suspicion with the R2 set is that the BBFC *may* insist on it being edited. The BBFc historically has not permitted two versions of a film to exist at different levels of certification. (The only exception to this rule as far as I am aware is Die Hard 2 - the heavily cut VHS pan and scan issue was released with a 15 cert, whilst the uncut widescreen VHS version was released with an 18 cert.)

If the BBFC still hold this policy, the more violent additions to the film in it's DVD extended form may be cut to ensure the extented cut of the film falls into the same certification catagory as that already issued, ie PG.

Should this come about, a number of people who preordered the R2 (UK) version of this would probably feel somewhat cheated. Ergo the desire for the R1 Extended Cut.

Ta,

Brendon

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
F*ck the BBFC! I'm playing it safe and ordering the region 1 version, as with Attack of the Clones, of which the BBFC decided in their infinite wisdom to remove a headbutt, doesn't matter that heads and arms are lopped off during the film, but headbutts brrrr, bollocks!
I preordered 'Cat People' r1 from Play.com a month ago and last week I cancelled my order, after they failed to send me a copy 2 weeks after it was out in the US, I ordered it from FutureEnt.com on Friday, got it today, nice.:emoji_thumbsup:

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
If the BBFC still hold this policy, the more violent additions to the film in it's DVD extended form may be cut to ensure the extented cut of the film falls into the same certification catagory as that already issued, ie PG.
I wasn't aware that any of the additions were violent, but more importantly how can we confirm this? I have no firm plans to order the movie in any form, but if I did I would get the extended cut and I'd prefer not to buy R1 if I have a choice. (still on the fence about Ep. II, after all I saw it in the theater without the head-butt, so I can't say I'd miss it)

James Reader

Screenwriter
the law states very clearly in the UK that BBFC policy dictates there cannot be two versions of the same film on video/DVD
But if there are over 30 mins of extra footage and the title is specifically 'Lord of the Rings:Fellowship of the Ring:Extended Edition' does this class itself as the same film? I think from a legal point of view an argument can be made that it is, in fact a different film.

MattCapes

Auditioning
Er... the "Lord of the Rings - Special Extended Edition Widescreen" has already been classified by the BBFC (was done back in July). Running time of 218m44s, rating of PG and "passed with no cuts made" nor mention of the distributor touching it.

I thought the rumours of "extra violence" had been denied anyway?

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Groovy, then R2 it is for me. Thanks for the straight dope Matt.

Unless the "headbutt" in AOTC is brilliant and not to be missed I'm going R2 for Episode II as well...

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
There is no extra violence added to the film. It was confirmed by Jackson himself that he shot this trilogy from the begining to meet PG-13 rating and not R like the internet had posted. The added 30 mins is mainly dialog.

Steve -
I imagine that this is a result of the new Canadian cover requirements, which seems be be resulting in the R1 Canadian DVDs (stocked by Play.com) being available a couple of weeks after the US versions. I had exactly the same experience with 'Pride of the Yankees'.

Does anyone have a 'second string' supplier which will ship the US version to the UK? Perhaps Play.com need to revise their import policy; I for one won't be buying the compulsary French covers if they continue with that policy.

Richard
(NYC exile)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks