Platoon/Lethal Weapon series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mallon, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Patrick Mallon

I am looking to purchase both Platoon and the Lethal Weapon series. I see that there are 2 versions of Platoon still on the shelves of Best Buy and the regular and director's version of LW still out there. Which flavor of each is most satisfying?

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Definitely get the Special Edition of Platoon.

3. Brett Cameron

Brett Cameron Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the director's cut of Lethal Weapon instead of the regular version that was released on dvd 4 years ago. It has a DTS track if you have a DTS receiver, and the new scenes added in add more backstory to the character of Riggs.

4. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

When in doubt go with the Special Edition (or in the case of LETHAL WEAPON, the Director's Cut). Besides, most B&M stores are still charging the same price for both versions of all of them (!).
    The PLATOON DVD is the same transfer used on the bare-bones release but with all the extras from the original Pioneer laserdisc (fantastic commentary tracks, BTW). You can't go wrong here.
    As for the LETHAL WEAPON movies, I thought the Director's Cuts were pretty good. Richard Donner didn't radically change any of them, just added back in a few scenes here and there. The largest additions (as far as running time) are in the first one and the extra scenes really do make a positive difference. Blink and you'll miss the extra stuff in PARTS 2 and 3.

5. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

SE for both.
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"

6. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Go to Borders to get the Platoon: SE. They have it for $14.99. Well, they did at 2 different Borders in the DC area.

7. Patrick Mallon

Wasn't there also a THX version of Platoon a few years ago? How does that compare to the 2 recent versions?

8. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    And don't forget about Oliver Stone's "sequels" to Platoon: Born on the Fourth of July and Heaven & Earth.
    ------------------

9. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Go for Directors cuts for all Lethal movies.
    Go for SE of Platoon as well.