Platoon DVDs and other questions....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron E. Smith, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

I have a few DVDs that I am considering replacing and was wondering what the general consensus is on the 'new' vs. 'old' versions on DVD. For instance, I have the original THX release of Platoon. Is the newer Special Edition 'better' or is it just a rehash?
    Other DVDs I'd like to know about, new vs. old:
    Dr. Strangelove
    Prince of Egypt (DD vs. DTS)
    Life of Brian
    Holy Grail (is there a new version out yet?)
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    Shakespeare in Love
    Animal House
    Princess Bride
    Clockwork Orange
    Bridge on the River Kwai
    Notting Hill
    Also, there seems to be a new version of Mississippi Burning. It has a new cover, but I haven't had a chance to compare it to my older copy. Is this some sort of special edition as well?
    Sorry for the long list. Any help/opinions would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    - Aaron
    "Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps"
    -Emo Phillips

2. David Albrecht

David Albrecht Stunt Coordinator

The main reason I bought a DVD player in the first place was for this movie, then after I bought the player, I found out that the movie had not yet been released on DVD. Doohhh!
    Then it finally got released, but for some reason I just never got to excited about it, I guess there was always something else more interesting to pick up.
    But then I saw the Special Edition released, and the old feeling came back. I guess the only regret I have is that I saw this up at Borders for $15 about 3 weeks after I bought it for $20.
    So is it worth it, that's really up to you. I noticed both are 1:85:1 and anamorphic. I haven't listened to the Commentary w/ Oliver Stone yet, but I've read elsewhere its pretty informative. The other Commentary w/ Captain Dale Dye is really good. He's has several roles in the film, but I don't want to spoil any surprises. The Documentary is interesting as well, footage on location, as well as interviews w/ the actors. Another thing that probably isn't that big of a selling point, but the inner booklet is 8 pages from cover to back... kind of nice.
    As for the Kubric's films, the new anamorphic transfers are simply beautiful. Definitely worth the upgrade from the old DVD's.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Aaron, too bad you didn't get rid of the THX version a year ago. You could have bought about 8 copies of the current SE [​IMG]
    The MGM SE is for the most part a rehash of the THX version. The real difference is the transfer. The MGM SE captures the look and feel of the original theatrical prints, while the Live release is the preferred look of the picture by the DP and Oliver Stone. Of course, the new version is anamorphic, but the cover art is worse, but the good cover art is still in a snapper, etc etc
    If I were you, I'd pick up the movie-only Platoon and then you should be all set
    Jeff Kleist

4. Aaron E. Smith

Thanks for the replies! Anyone else have opinions about the other DVDs on the above list?
    ------------------
    - Aaron
    -Emo Phillips

5. Sebastian_M

Sebastian_M Stunt Coordinator

2001, and Clockwork Orange are definately worth rebuying. I would suggest getting the entire new Kubrick box set though.
    Seb
    ------------------
    Tall ships and tall kings
    Three times three
    What brought they from the foundered land
    Over the flowing sea?
    Seven stars and seven stones
    And one white tree

6. Jeff Kleist

Prince of Egypt (DD vs. DTS)- It's the same except 1 is DTS
    Life of Brian- Criterion has a new anamorphic transfer, Anchor bay is an LD rehash. Criterion also has a ton of extras
    Holy Grail (is there a new version out yet?)-10/22 is when it comes out. It's 10x better
    Nightmare Before Christmas-Same transfer, DTS and tons of extras (though the documentary has been edited)
    Shakespeare in Love-same transfer, just includes extras
    Animal House-Out of print, includes a 50min documentary as well as an anamorphic transfer
    Princess Bride- Anamorphic transfer, 2 commentaries and several documentaries
    2001- New anamorphic transfer, better sound, they stripped the extras tho
    Bridge on the River Kwai- They were released at the same time, one is movie only, other has extras and comes in the cool "book" case.
    Notting Hill- Just ads a Pan&Scan transfer, horrible packaging and maybe a few odds and ends

7. Aaron E. Smith

Wow, thanks guys for the additional info. I think I know what I'll be getting. Take care!
    ------------------
    - Aaron
    -Emo Phillips

8. Miles

Miles Second Unit

I guess I'll ressurect (sp?) this older post to ask my similar question. I also have the original Platoon SE from Artisan. I would like to get the new 16x9 version from MGM. Would the movie-only version look better due to more space for the movie, whereas on the SE there had to be space for the commentaries and documentary?

Thanks for any opinions,

Miles

9. Jeff Kleist

They look the same

10. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

11. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Hey John,

I actually have the Early SE version which has all the same extras (I believe) as the new SE but wanted a version with the remastered audio and video. I was wondering if the video/audio quality would be superior on the movie-only version due to the lack of extras...

Later,

Miles

12. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

The Monty Python and the Holy Grail due on 10/22 will be the third release. Original 1998 CTHV version looks like crap and sounds like crap. Newer SE only marginally better but has some problems (missing Norweigan subtitles, etc.) They say the third time's a charm - and after the treatment this movie has gotten from CTHV, it'd better be.

13. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Miles: Whoops! [​IMG]
    Hoover: THIRD version of Holy Grail???
    Aside from the slight problems with some players, what was wrong with Columbia's SE? I just about to purchase this DVD!
    Thanks for any info!
    ~ John

14. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Whoops! Perhaps I should look at the posting dates more closely. I assumed this was a newer thread and that another version of Holy Grail was appearing 10/22/02 - not 2001!
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is what happens when you work nights and try to stay awake during your days off [​IMG]