plate amp producing a buzz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stuart_S, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Stuart_S

Stuart_S Auditioning

I have a parts express 250W plate amp running an Adire Audio Tempest wired to 4ohms. Anyways, the amp is producing a very bad buzz through the sub (sounds like 60Hz). I've unplugged the amp from the receiver, buzz still there. The amp can have power to it and not buzz, but as soon as I turn he switch to ON, I get the harsh buzz. Also, when I touch the switch the pitch of the buzz changes. What can I do?

Could the switch have gone bad?

Thanks in advance!

2. John S

John S Producer

With only power attached, no audio plugs at all into the sub and it buzzes?

Is this a new install? Or has it been working?

Such buzzes are usually connection issues, or a bad audio cable. Sounds like it just may not be grounded properly or somehow input is shorting to ground.

Hard to say of course....

3. Stuart_S

Stuart_S Auditioning

i've had this setup for about 2 yrs now, it has worked fine when i lived in a house, but the buzz has arisen ever since i've moved into 2 different apartment complexes now. I've just now gotten around to deal with it.

with only power cord attached and NO audio inputs, yes, it buzzes.

i am hoping it is something to do with the grounding. what can i try to remedy this? try a two prong/no ground adaptor?

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Mine is also crapping out after about 3 years of abuse, maybe more like 4.

On to a pro amp.

5. John S

John S Producer

Thinking you may not be a qualified tech, I am going to refrain from giving trouble shooting advice on it, could be dangerous somewhat.

Maybe just try to find an Audiosource amp/1a cheapo to use external amplification with it instead.

6. Stuart_S

Stuart_S Auditioning

well thanks for drawing conclusions on my knowledge of electronics, john s [​IMG]

anyways, i figured it out, it was a grounding issue, problem solved...now i have to deal with my bitch neighbor whom i am now annoying with it [​IMG]