What's new

Plate amp line out..... (1 Viewer)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Are the "line out" plugs the same as using the wires
with the spade connections on a plate amp.

I bought one of the 360w amps from CSS. While it got
here quicker than expected, it came with no instructions at all, & I have had no reply to my email asking for help
sent ~2 weeks ago.

- Cam

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Are the "line out" plugs the same as using the wires
with the spade connections on a plate amp.

I bought one of the 360w amps from CSS. While it got
here quicker than expected, it came with no instructions at all, & I have had no reply to my email asking for help
sent ~2 weeks ago.

- Cam

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Bob usually answers the same day, he must have forgotten. I am not sure what you are asking. The wires coming out of the amp with the spade connections are the high level outputs for powering the driver. The Line Out on the face of the amp is for daisy chaining subs.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Bob usually answers the same day, he must have forgotten. I am not sure what you are asking. The wires coming out of the amp with the spade connections are the high level outputs for powering the driver. The Line Out on the face of the amp is for daisy chaining subs.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Graham summed it up pretty clearly. The Line-out RCA plugs would just bypass your amp - only used for daisy chaining.

You need to use the black/red wires with the spade connectors coming off the amp to provide power to the sub.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Graham summed it up pretty clearly. The Line-out RCA plugs would just bypass your amp - only used for daisy chaining.

You need to use the black/red wires with the spade connectors coming off the amp to provide power to the sub.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

If you intend on running more than one subwoofer, the 2nd connecter is great for running a cable between one sub and the other. This prevents you from having to use a "Y" cable to split the signal going to more than one subwoofer.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

If you intend on running more than one subwoofer, the 2nd connecter is great for running a cable between one sub and the other. This prevents you from having to use a "Y" cable to split the signal going to more than one subwoofer.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit

Ok, I admit I am having a tough time understanding your question at all. By 'spade' connected wires, I belive in another post you were referring to the wires that go from the amplifier (inside) to the woofer itself, yes? If so, that has nothing to do with the external connections. There are no similar connections on the outside. You can connect speaker wires if you like, using banana plugs, bare wires, pins, and maybe even spade lugs (which are NOT the same as the spade you are referring to, which technically isn't a spade at all, but that's neither here nor there). :) However, if you are using the RCA cable to your subwoofer, as you are (in latest post), there's no reason at all to use the speaker level inputs. The only possible use the speaker level inputs might have would be if you wanted to run your front L/R as large AND send your front L/R bass to the subwoofer along with the LFE. Most receivers/processors have a setting called L/R+LFE or something similar, but I suppose yours could be an oddball. :) However, if you use the speaker wire inputs to your subwoofer amplifier, you lose remote control of the subwoofer level, which I find highly useful.

Now, if you had two subwoofers, which it doesn't sound like you do, you could run speaker wires from the amp on the first sub to the amp on the second sub, so in that sense, it would be like daisy chaining them with the line out jacks.

So like I said, what is your question? It sounds like you're asking why an apple doesn't taste like an orange to me. :)

Aaron Gilbert

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Sorry Aaron, I am (obviously) ignorant to this so bare with me, this was my initial question...

"Are the "line out" plugs the same as using the wires
with the spade connections on a plate amp."

The answer was....NO.

Then I got this reply, and if I am confused Wayne I apologize as you ALWAYS try to help me....

"If you intend on running more than one subwoofer, the 2nd connecter is great for running a cable between one sub and the other. This prevents you from having to use a "Y" cable to split the signal going to more than one subwoofer. "

I thought this was in reference to the "line out" RCA plugs.

So then I asked.....

"Then why would it not work the same as the "spade" connected wires? "

I know, I cut & pasted from all the post's on this thread, but this is how I was coming to my conclusions/confusion, not trying to abe an "A"-hole...just trying to understand

My real question concerned the RCA, line out, hook-up from the amp.

Thanks Guys....i know I am a pain in the a$$....:)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you are only going to use the subwoofer output (RCA) from the receiver, then get a Y-connector (female-to-2-males) to feed the plate amp's left/right RCA input. Forget about the speaker-level inputs.

Then just connect the spade connectors to the driver.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Patrick, that’s not what he’s talking about.

Cam, Wayne Ernst had the correct answer about the line-out plugs. To perhaps clarify a little better, the same signal that arrives at the inputs goes straight to the line outputs, whether it’s a full-range signal or one that has been high-passed upstream by the receiver or an electronic crossover. Of course, the same input signal also goes to the sub amp, so in essence the line outs are tapped (paralleled) directly off the input jacks. As Wayne also noted, the usual purpose for these is to pass the signal on to an additional sub(s).

Like Aaron I’m guessing there that you’re referring to speaker-level connections (spade connections for signal level are virtually unheard of in home audio). Of course, you can’t use speaker level connections for signal inputs, as they are high-level and will overload and clip the inputs of the device.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
Question;

I have 4 of the PE 250watt amps, 300-796. All 4 seem to have a low-freq cut-off on the line-out, approx 80-120hz. I have themm all running off a series of Y-connectors-a mess- but if I try to plug the connectors in a daisy-chain config, only the amp getting signal from the receiver puts out lows; the rest seem to have their low freqs cut.
I thought they were a straight line level pass-thru, but in practice, their not, at least on these 4.

Thoughts?

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Actually my question was & still is.....

"Are the "line out" RCA plugs (on the plate amp) the same as using the wires with the spade connections on a plate amp.

These are, of course, right next to the "line in" RCA connectors that I plug the LFE cable into.

I am presuming these are the one that you have been
refering to as the ones for "daisy chaining".

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
No, they are not the same. The connectors with the spade terminals that emerge from the back of the amp, are amplified; the Line level out on the front, is not amplified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks