Plate Amp for Velodyne FSR12? (120W=Current)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark^Faust, May 17, 2004.

1. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Hey All,

Pretty new at this stuff.(speakers..not electronics)

I believe the amp in my Velodyne FSR12 Sub is going out...

Can someone suggest a suitable replacement?
    Would I have to get an exact match so as to align size and mounting holes?? or is a little "modification" going to be necessary?

thx

Mark

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Most OEM (Velo, etc) amps have custom EQ circuitry built into them, and replacement also means eliminating that circuit. It may or may not work well with any old amp you find, like the famous PE 250 watt. I would expect the replacement combo to work fine, but it would likely "measure" differently.

As for the hole, it is what it is, a good fit requires the exact same amp.

Good Luck!

3. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

thx for the reply,
    Lets say I was going to replace the amp with an OEM...(say the PE250 and assume it fits inside)

Could I just pull the old amp out, use the correct? material to make up the difference in the fit, put the new amp in and be done?

Also...any idea on what Velo used for their amps about 5 years ago??
    ty
    Mark

4. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

get a pro amp and just add a imput cups. and take the amp out and fill with mdfb

5. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Imput cups??? dont think I have ever heard of those...

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It's like the input on your speakers - He's saying to simply add a speaker wire input to the cabinet ( cup ) and use an external amp.

The amp can be ANY amp, not necessarily a sub amp. Like some old POS amp you find at a garage sale, you'd plug the subwoofer cable into the left CD input, then the left speaker wire to your newly installed input cup, which is wired to the Velo's driver. The old original sub amp would be disconnected completely.

7. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

ahhhh..I see...Although I was looking to fix it so it is sellable...

then onto SVS.. [​IMG]

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I'd see what a service call would cost first. If it can be made like new for cheap, it would be worth it. Velo or some local shop...

Anything that's modified in any way is hard to sell, unless there are some serious credentials to go with it.

Ask anyone who tries to sell a DIY speaker. Nobody trusts anyone elses handiwork unless they're a legit business like AcousticVisions or Stryke.

9. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

thanks for the heads up Colin..

Now to find a local shoip to get an estimate....

Can you tell I am new at this....?? [​IMG]

ALthough, if it is too high, I will get out my DMM and soldering iron and possibly borrow a scope and try and fix it myself...Just never messed with audio circuitry before..

thx
    Mark

10. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Colin,

Velo thinks it is just the amp.
    They want $65 to look at it..(includes return shipping)
    On average, they say that it costs about $185 Total including shipping, to repair the amp

Think a local might be cheaper??
    I am electronically inclined so it is not beyond me to try myself...Worst case would be to get the PE 120W if I screw this one up...??

whatcha think?
    Mark

11. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I have no experience with diagnosis, etc. I know thet Fastrak (?) charges $35 to inspect and diagnose, and will apply it to the total bill, but that was last year on an LD player that I got into and found a missing screw - free mech repair. Mech I can do. Electronic = pay a smarter dude.

Plus they are local carry-in. Worth a shot.

Used value on that sub is around $200 anyway...You may want to think about an aftermarket driver more capable than the Velo, and a new amp, use the enclosure...but then you are into $200 plus anyway.

Good luck!

12. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

grrrrrr.....

I hate when the price point of fixing versus selling nets me no $$$. Might as well fix it and keep it..Add an SVS to the room to help it out...

Looks more and more like I will try to fix it myself....

A tad off topic...
    Question on calibration....What should my DD and my DTS preamp setting be set at going out of my receiver?? Range is -10 to +10..

thx
    mark

13. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Only because you want to stay low vs high to avoid clipping the output.

14. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Last question..
    I also have a "Bass Out" setting with the same 20db range.
    I assume this is for content under 90Hz that is NOT DD or DTS.

I assume 5Db above min also..

thx
    mark

15. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I would guess so. I have one setting for the sub-out, one of the nice things about an entry level amp is that there's less to mess with / config.

On SVS - I went from a 120 watt 10" to a 20-39CS. Big difference, but a big sub that also dominates the room. In the end I sold it, went to the Vance 10" from PE. Couldn't do half what the 20-39 did, so I sold THAT and built my own sub with an SVS driver of all things, based on a Shiva design. Haven't looked back.

Beware the upgrade path....

16. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Colin,

thx for all the help...The dark side of the "upgrade path" has been calling a long time...I think I am starting to partially give in to that dark side...

Was your Shiva design from a kit??

17. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You are welcome.

This one....

85l design

I know this is designed for the Shiva, and an SVS is not a Shiva, which means the resulting tune / sound / whatever is not what you'd get with the Shiva. BUT - I have no problem with the sound I get from this sucker. I measure 24hz before it drops signifigantly. I have also EQ'd the hell out of it, and it withstands heavy gain without bottoming with 250w behind it. I've never bottomed it, actually.