What's new

Plate Amp for Sub = Confused Rookie (1 Viewer)

matt.r.w

Auditioning
Hi Folks,
I was hoping someone could clear up something for me.

In my current HT setup my Sub is connected to my receiver by a single cable. The receiver has a single output for the sub, and the sub has a single input for the receiver.

I'm currently planning on building my own Sub (because mine is a real piece of garbage), and the amp portion has me confused.

question: how the heck does the sub amp get connected to the receiver? Every amp that I look at seems to have the roughly the same configuration. 4 RCA inputs plus 4 speaker inputs (outputs?).

tia
Matt

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
There's several ways to hook up a sub amp.

In a 2 channel setup, or if you have an old pro-logic system with no LFE out, you can run the speaker wire from the L&R on the receiver to the speaker input terminals on the amp and then the amp's output terminals to the actual speakers.
If your receiver has an LFE output (and it sounds like it does) you can connect that to the LMONO input rca jack (the white low-level input) and you're all set.

Keith Martin

Auditioning
4 RCAs: used for line-level signals
2 Inputs (L&R) - input from a pre-amp or sub out from receiver
2 Outputs (L&R) - out to an additional amp

4 Speaker Terminals: high level signals
2 Inputs (L&R) - input from a receiver with no sub output
2 Outputs (L&R) - output to satellite speakers

If you're using a single sub signal with say the popular PartsExpress 300-764 then the input goes to the RED RCA input.

matt.r.w

Auditioning
Thanks Keith and Dave,

One question Keith... I plug in that part number to the parts express page and get zero results.

any ideas?

did you mean 300-794?

Matt

Keith Martin

Auditioning
matt,
Oh yeah, sorry 'bout that. Like in the link it's the 300-794.
Good Luck with your DIY experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks