Plate amp and Driver mounting questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnA, May 5, 2002.

1. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

My sealed Maelstrom box is coming along nicely with few problems. The few issues I had where easily overcome with help from this board and a little patience on my part.

I am considering how to mount the plate amp and driver. The plate amp will be mounted in a "pocket" located on the rear of the enclosure. It will seal the amp from the subwoofer enclosure.

I am unsure if I should just pre drill and screw right into the MDF enclosure or go to the trouble of using T-Nuts.

My concern with using T-Nuts is that I may split or chip the MDF installing them.

I would like to hear what other people have done.

Thanks

-JohnA

2. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

John,

The only thing that I suggest doing when installing your t-nuts is too glue them into place using epoxy or liquid nails. The only problem that I had was a t-nut that popped out when when i was test fitting my driver. If you are careful this will not occur but I will definalty glue my t-nuts for any further projects.

Also when you are drilling you holes for you t-nuts I would suggest placing a scrap piece of wood behind the spot you are drilling, to prevent punching out any excess material when you drill bit breaks through. MDF has a tendency to do this.

enjoy

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

John,

I don't see much point in using T-nuts to mount a plate amp unless you have some desire to constantly remove the amp. Screws should be fine.

Brian