Plasma's for under $2000 42"

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bob_S, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

Hi, my aunt asked me to find some Plasma's for her for under $2000. She currently has a 32" Wega she bought last year, but now is tired of its size and wants something that she can mount on the wall and get rid of her giant tv stand. She is by no means a videophile. She wants something of good quality and reliability, but doesn't need anything over the top. I'm looking for recommendations on sets for her as I haven't really done much research on Plasma's myself in a while. She'd like a 42" no bigger. Please recommend me a few sets to get me started in my search for her if you can. Thanks

2. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Vizio and Maxent both are under $2,000 for a 42". A 50" vizio is under $2,000 and I believe the Maxent is as well.

3. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions. The price sure is right. How is the reliability of these sets typically? I'll be going to check out a few this week.

4. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Bob,

I don't own a Maxent, but it is on the list of sets I have narrowed my decisions down too. And since your mother doesn't need all the bells and whistles or anything "over the top", Maxent has a 42" ED plasma for under $1,300 if memory serves me right (little Iron Chef Lingo there for ya).

One of my friends owns a Maxent and loves it. But he is the only person I know with one so I don't have any additional or competing opinions from people I know.

My one complaint about the Maxent 50" that I have seen is that it is sliver! I want black. It would probably be higher on my list if it were black.

5. Davis

Davis Agent

Amazon is selling the 42" panny edtv for around $1300 and the hd for $1900. No tax, but around $100 more for shipping.

Picture can be a matter of personal preference, take a look for yourself. The Panny is pretty sweet.

6. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Hi Bob,

While I don't know the performance history of these units, Best Buy has HP 42" plasmas (HD - not EDTV) on sale for $1,500. I'm interesting in picking one up myself, provided that the quality is ok. Also, Circuit City has 42" LG HD plasma on sale for $1,709.00.