What's new

Plasma Video Output Basics -- NEED HELP (1 Viewer)

tonyGar

Agent
I just bought a 42 Inch Panasonic TH-42PH9UK and I am wondering what are the best outputs for sound and video:

1. S-Video?
2. Optical?
3. HDMI
4. Other?

Please let me know since I am not knowledgeable in this area.

Regards
Tony

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
From Best to Worst for Video:

1. HDMI or DVI (capable of 480p, 720p, 1080i)
2. Component (capable of 480p, 720p, 1080i)
3. S-Video (limited to 480i)
4. Composite or Coax

From Best to Worst for Audio:

1. Digital Coax or Optical Audio (capable of full surround sound)
2. RCA (limited to stereo)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
1 and 2 (Component video and HDMI/DVI) can sometimes be reversed. It depends on the situation and the particular equipment in use.

peterac

Agent
Real Name
Peter

Tony, I am about to purchase a 42" Panasonic plasma. I am now trying to get down to a specific model. I like the professional models such as the TH-42PH9UK because i am going to hook into a sound system and I am going to wall mount. I do not want to take up space on the TV with speakers.
I am not sure what inputs come with the the professional model.

Have you installed this yet? How'd it go?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
I am having sort of a similar issue...

So, I am waiting for my Samsung HDTV to arrive. I am really excited--I have helped many, many people buy their sets but haven't been able to get one myself yet--and have been going overboard with researching various topics to get ready for the Thursday installation.

I am going through the manual and it looks like though the TV takes component video, when you are doing HD television it only displays it in 720p. But when you hook up the DTV through HDMI, there is no such restriction.

Is this fairly common? I just ordered a second pair of BetterCables because I was planning on using my receiver as a passthrough (it supports passing through a 720p and 1080i signal through its component ins/outs), but if I am not able to get TV in 1080i, then it sounds like I should go through HDMI right from the DVR box to the TV. Which I am fine to do--if (and here's my question) there are shows being broadcast in 1080i. I think there are, so I have a feeling I need to go buy an HDMI cable tomorrow...

I was just curious if other plasma owners recognized this same limitation.

thanks,
mike

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Mike - check to see what the native resolution of your set is. Most LCD's, Plasma's and DLP's are native 720p. CRT's are typically native 1080i. If your set has a native resolution of 720p then it will scale all 1080i signals to 720p over both component and HDMI.

This isn't a "restriction" so to speak, it's just that fixed panel displays always have a fixed native resolution.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Additionally, do not make the assumption that 1080i is better than 720p just because it is a higher number. They are simply different ways of displaying HD and the jury is out on which is better (some like 720p better for sports and action, due to the progressive signal). Having 720p instead of 1080i is the least of your worries, especially since both the TV and 99% of the set top tuners will scale everything to 720p.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

the Panny industrial panels are very nice. They come with a component input blade and an svideo / composite blade. you can add a HDMI blade. I like the industrials over the consumer pannys as they have a better ability to become calibrated to conform to SMTPE specs.

Strongly consider having your display professionally calibrated / setup. This will ensure that you are maximizing your displays potential. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about this.

Happy viewing!!

Gregg
[email protected]

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Wow, I am suddenly very irritated...the guy who sold me the TV said it would display 1080i, but I want true 1080i, not 1080i converted to 720p. I have to call him and see what the deal is...

thanks!
mike

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You are not going to get a fixed pixel (LCD, DLP or plasma) that will display 1080i, 99% of them are 720p. Just like 99% of CRT's are 1080i. Even if you find a 1080i plasma, it will still not display native 720p. Think about it, "fixed pixels" mean just that - the pixels are fixed in place. You can't have 1080 vertical pixels in the same space as 720 vertical pixels, so 1080i has to be digitally converted to 720p.

Believe me, it is no big deal. The conversion all takes place in the digital realm and you can barely tell the difference. Plus, what choice do you really have?

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Thanks guys, I just was irrated because the salesman kinda lead me astray, I felt. I kept trying to make sure that the set displayed 1080i, and he said yes, but he didn't mention the 720p conversion.

It's cool---and Jeff, you are quite right--I don't really have a choice anyway! If I wanted to go with a true 1080i plasma, it would have to be 50" and would be much more expensive.

I am really excited. The set arrives on Thursday (along with the HD-DVR) and the Oppo 970HD arrives the next day. It's gonna be a fun weekend.

Thanks for all your encouragement and good advice.

By the way, I found this page to be really useful, it lays out the differences between the HD formats and what you can actually expect out of your HD displays really nicely.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137...html?tag=today

thanks again, guys! I will let you know how it goes. Now, of course, I have to figure out what to do with my fairly large center channel speaker...
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks