What's new

Plasma v. Projector? (1 Viewer)

Mike Mitrook

Agent
Well, the electronics are set, now it's time for the video. Here's the situation. I've read great things about both plasma and projectors. I’ve also seen both done well. Now with my HT (finally no more multi-purpose family room for movies!) the room is approx. 13x13.5 with the screen to be placed on the 13.5 wall. Distance from seating position to screen (either one) would be a little over 8 feet. I tried a friend’s X1 this weekend and if I put the projector at the back of the room the image is too large at about 71" diagonal. I know, is there such a thing for HT? Well, we're not front row theater types. More like middle-back. So I put the projector closer to the screen until I found a nice image size. What did that happen to be? Around 42" diagonal.

At this screen size many options present themselves. A projector is the most cost effective option and since cost is a factor (the less I spend the sooner I can enjoy) I have to say this might be the front-runner. I have blackout blinds on the windows so light control is not an issue. I’m not a gamer and I could see watching some HD down the road but the main purpose is movies (DVD).

Suggestions? What would give me the best picture quality? I was thinking about the 42” Panasonic ED plasma or the Panasonic 300u or Sanyo Z1 projectors. While I liked the X1 I found I’m susceptible to the ‘rainbows’ just enough that it takes away from enjoyment of the movie. I’d also like a quieter projector.

As always, I’m looking forward to your comments.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
There is the Panny200 and Z1 but You may see that SDE sitting that close to the screen. I have the Z1 but I sit 15' from the 106" diagnol screen...

Mike Mitrook

Agent
Chad,
I am concerned about SDE. Do you really think it would be an issue with only a 42" diagonal screen at a 8' seating distance? The projector would have to go approx 4'6" from the screen in this case.
Mike

ChadLB

Screenwriter
basically most people say you should sit 1.8ft * screen width size. So for me it would be 13.8(7.6ft wide screen * 1.8).
you would be looking at like a 5ft wide screen at most.

chad

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I am concerned about SDE. Do you really think it would be an issue with only a 42" diagonal screen at a 8' seating distance? The projector would have to go approx 4'6" from the screen in this case.
Not at all. I have the Panny 200u. I have an 80" diagonal screen. My front row is 9' from that screen. With a slight defocus, SDE is only noticeable during very bright white scenes and it's minimal. At 12' (my back row), SDE is not noticeable at all. Also, I am the only one who notices it, my friends and family do not, why? They don't know what it is or what to look for. In this hobby, sometimes ignorance is bliss, as is in the case with SDE.

Peace Out~:D

Mike Mitrook

Agent
Ron,
Nice HT. How far back do you have the 200 mounted from the screen? Also, how quiet is the projector? I know that in most action type movies this doesn't make a difference but we watch a fair number of 'lower volume' movies as well.

Dean,
I think you're right. Now to decide which PJ to go with. Any sub $1500 options I'm overlooking?
Mike

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Mike, the PJ is mounted directly over the front row of seating, 9' from the screen. The fan is very quiet. It can be set to low or high. On low, it's almost not audible. I have it set to high to prolong lamp life. During quiet scenes it can be heard, but it's not loud enough to be a distraction.

Peace Out~:D

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I just bought the X1 myself and absolutely love it. I simply cannot see the rainbows, so that is not an issue with me.

I thought of one thing that all of us home theater enthusiasts are always doing, and that is upgrading our systems. If you buy a plasma, or any television for that matter, you will always have the screen size that you purchased. With the projector, you simply move the unit backwards to increase your screen size (or even visa-versa). This may not be a factor in your current home, but it very well may be in your next. Just food for thought...

David

Rich H

Second Unit
Mike,

I went through the same decision making process and went plasma (Panasonic 42" ED model). I liked the image best but it was also a big plus how easy it was to integrate into our room (it actually enhanced the decor, which is hard to say about any other TV types).

Two of my friends have projector set-ups in rooms almost exactly as you describe (although one guy's is a bit larger). One guy own's an LCD projector, the other DLP.
Regarding your questions of image quality: boy, that's subjective, and depends what you want out of your viewing experience. I find that in terms of sheer image quality I am more thrilled by the plasma image vs many projector images (certainly vs my friend's projectors). Plasma has a vividness, clarity and richness that puts a new spin on my favourite films - it brings them to "life." I've had my plasma now for 1 1/2 years and just last night I felt as awed by the picture as the day I took it out of the box.

Projectors obviously mimik the film theater vibe in a way that no plasma can. Obviously sheer size does that, as well as the projected look of the image. Front Projectors really do feel "Home Theater." And that's cool!

Still, in choosing between my friend's projectors and the image of my plasma, I'd choose my plasma. Both my friend's feel my plasma produces picture quality better than their projectors - one guy still prefers his projector (DLP) because he really desires that theater-feel image size, and the other guy prefers my plasma but couldn't afford one.

So, there are a few viewpoints to chew on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks