Plasma TV wall mount help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Girish, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Girish

Girish Stunt Coordinator

girish
    I wall mounted a 42" in my bedroom wall. What options are there to hide wires? I donot want to hook this to a receiver or any speakers. I have a satellite receiver and a dvd player. There is a AV cable coming from the sat and a component cable plus a LR audio from the dvd player, not to mention the TV's powercable.
    How do I hide all this???
    Do I need to put a small entertainment center below the tv?
    Anybody who can post pics of their setup?

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Home depot has "old work" boxes that you can put into the wall and then attach faceplates. The hardest part is running the cables, especially if you are dealing with an insulated external wall. If you want to go a long distance left or right of the mount, you also have to contend with the studs. In that case, you likely have to remove a good amount of drywall, or you could run the cables down to the floor, remove the base molding, and then run them behind there. I was lucky enough to take pictures of my house before the drywall was installed, so I knew where all the electrical and plumbing was, but you also have to take account of that. Here is the pre-hidden spaghetti mess:

[​IMG]

Here is the back of my mount which has some channels to hide some of the wires. You can see the outlet I installed and the face plate for the cables. Ignore the patches - I did some touch up while I had the mud out. You can see a patch about 2 feet below where the cables go into the wall. I had to cut that hole to help get the cables down to where they come out of the wall. I kept getting hung up on the insulation. I had many more cables than you will have, but I found it helpful to tape all the cables together and cover the ends with a big hunk of electrical tape to make sure they didn't get snagged or damaged as I was pushing them through the insulation. If you are lucky enough to have a non-insulated internal wall, it will be much easier.

[​IMG]

Here is the "after" shot. I am looking for a low cabinet to house the components. Studiotech has one with a screen front that may do the job.

[​IMG]

3. Patrick Bond

Patrick Bond Auditioning

no clean power center for that badboy? [​IMG]

4. Girish

Girish Stunt Coordinator

girish
    Mine looks exactly like the first picture!!!!