What's new

Plasma TV Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a 42" plasma tv. I don't really think I need an HD tv. ED is fine. I have looked around a little at all the larger stores and can't really see much difference in pic quality. And I deffinately can not see spending 500-1000 more for something I can't see. Anyway I found this....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTQPAO/104-7919942-8651108?v=glance&n=172282[/url] The reviews I've read about it say it is pretty nice for the price. Most were surprised with it's performance. I can get it locally for about $1200. What do you think? :D

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Pretty poor in the contrast ratio department and no digital input. The Amazon reviewers that did have problems noted pretty poor warranty service. If you're buying it locally, and can return it if you're not happy, would be of benefit.

Without a digital input you may be out of luck watching upcoming HD-DVD's and might even be locked out of HD programming if the HDCP copy protection scheme becomes fully implemented.

That said....if you like the picture and plan to use it for just TV viewing and DVD's, the price seems right....JMO

Mort

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Jack -- as I understand it, not for most purposes, at least not for a long time. Digital doesn't mean HD or not HD. The issue is that a true HD capable, digital output from any device (cable box, DVD, etc) can only connect to an input (TV, recorder, etc) that implements HDCP. Analog connections are allowed without the HDCP -- whether the signal is carrying HD content or not shouldn't matter.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
If price is the #1 driver then yeah. Personally, I can't recommend buying anything short of a fully HD capable TV since within its expected lifetime most if not all content will have gone HD. But as you've found the price is higher.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok lets try something else. Can anybody suggest a flat screen tv (either plasma or lcd).

My requirements are:

Under - $1500
Size - 37"-42" (I have a small living room)

I don't need speakers or tuner since it will be hooked up to a sat receiver and av receiver.

Thanks....

Ronn.W

Second Unit
EDTV is a viable choice still, IMHO. I have a Zenith 42" plasma EDTV, and it's great for DVDs. In a few years when more HDTV content is available, or I should say, more compelling HDTV content is available, I'll probably upgrade.

Like others mentioned though, you'll want to get one that has either a DVI or HDMI input. I have an Oppo upscaling DVD player, and I get a much better pic when I upscale it to 1080 and let the TV scale it back down using DVI then I ever did with a standard PS player over component.

Jack Sampson

Stunt Coordinator
What a coincidence. I was just looking at this one HERE It looks like the smaller brother of the one suggested. I like it. I like it alot.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks