What's new

Plasma Tv Recharge ? (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
There is no way, nor is there a need, to "recharge" a plasma TV. On burn-in, I recommend this link @ AVS forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=224419

The general consensus is, burn-in is possible, but only known to have happened a few times so far (and one of them was a Windows start botton on one used as a computer monitor).

=)

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I calibrated a Pioneer Pro800 last week that had clear signs of burn-in from the A/V integrator's using the set-up menus of various associated products.
You could clearly see the CD changer menu, DVD player and the Satellite menu.
When I arrived, all settings including Contrast were at default levels. The system was controlled by Crestron with no provisions for adjusting the Plasma menu.

I take it from your inference that burn-in is a rare occurrence, only heard about in camp fire tales.
It is a clearly evident reality in poorly set-up (or never set-up) panels.

Perhaps that was not your intent and I am reading into something, but when I pointed out to the client that he needed to avoid static images for any formidable length of time and showed him why, he said he was told that he could treat it like a regular TV.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Admittedly, those on the AVS forum who report this probably calibrated their plasmas out of torch mode. Perhaps the answer is, it is very uncommon if you don't have your plasma in Torch mode (kind of like CRTs). I see a plasma purchase a few years out, so I am keeping an eye on people's reports on this.

:) MICHAEL,you said you could see menu burn in,was this a
demo at your store or a customers?how old was the tv and can
you get rid of it by a recharge?i have a rptv but have been
wondering about plasmas and you seem to have been around them
for awhile.

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
You can't "recharge" a plasma Dennis. They are sealed airtight and opening them up would destroy them.

Scott

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Dennis,

Did you hear about "recharging" at Circuit City? Was someone explaining why you'd need an extended warranty?

Just wondering. . .

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The recharging is a myth, what is it, you have to change the plasma every 3000 miles, er hours? :)

I've seen burn-in on plasma monitors in airports. It's caused the same way as on CRTs--phosphor wear (yes, Virginia, there IS phosphor in plasmas!).

I don't know what the lifespan of a plasma panel is, but I would guess it's in the same neighborhood as a CRT--20,000 hours or more. Improvements in plasma technology are occurring all the time.

KJP

(edited for more accurate lifespan estimate)

:) i was told by someone who works for a retail company
not best buy or circut city that they had a sony plasma
tv with burn in and sony told them that it could be fixed
with a charge and that the gas breaks down after awhile and
causes the picture to darken.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks