What's new

Plasma TV + Receiver combo advice please. (1 Viewer)

Anish

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a receiver based on my selection of my plasma screen. I just wanted to ask some of the folks here if the combination I have in mind is feasible or not. I am going with the Panasonic 50" plasma screen display. After much debate I decided to go with that over the Pioneer (or Pioneer Elite) screens. I heard that the Panasonic gives a crisper image over the Pioneer but the Pioneer gives a brighter image than the Panasonic. I guess you can't go wrong with either one?

Now for the receiver, I was initially thinking about the Denon 5803, but then after talking to a few people I realized that I might not need that big a receiver and that I might be better off with the Denon 3802 instead. Now what I need to know is if the 3802 is good enough to run the Panasonic plasma screen TV.

This is a quote from another member on this forum regarding the receiver: "I think all the denon receivers have component switching that uses 27mhz bandwidth. There is some debate if this is enough bandwidth for hd signals. Alot of people say no 30mhz bandwidth should be the minimum.I'm not 100% about this,what you should do is start a thread on the hdtv forum or the plasma forum. Thats the only reason I didn't buy the denon.I went with the sony ES receivers which has 50mhz component switching."

Now is this an issue that I have to worry about if I buy the Denon 3802 or will I be fine using the Denon 3802 with the Panny 50" plasma.

Thanks for your advice.

Anish

Stunt Coordinator
I did match it with my speakers... that is why Iam looking to get the Denon 3802 instead of the Denon 5803. I am getting the Anthony Gallo speakers since it is for an apartment. The receiver is 110W per channel and the speakers are 100W per speaker, so it would be almost perfectly efficient.

It was there, in the speaker forum that someone said something about the component switching bandwidth between the receiver and plasma screen and he suggested that I check with you guys, which is why I posted here. Once again, here's what he said:

"I think all the denon receivers have component switching that uses 27mhz bandwidth. There is some debate if this is enough bandwidth for hd signals. Alot of people say no 30mhz bandwidth should be the minimum.I'm not 100% about this,what you should do is start a thread on the hdtv forum or the plasma forum. Thats the only reason I didn't buy the denon.I went with the sony ES receivers which has 50mhz component switching."

Hope someone can help. Is this an issue I should even be concerned about or will the Denon 3802 work as well as anything else, with this plasma screen?

Thanks.

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
ohhhh ok... my bad.

Personally, I would recommend the pioneer elite 49tx. It has component video switching w/ upconversion plus MACC. I remebver reading that the Elite was superior to the Denon for component video switching because of some degradation issues...

I am not 100% sure if this is still true though with the new 5803 model... Maybe someone else can clarify

Sanjiva

Agent
In the similar price range, you could also look at Yamaha receivers as the new Y1300 series compares very favorably to Denon 3802 and Yamaha also has 50 MHz bandwidth for component video switching.

Just a thought.

Anish

Stunt Coordinator
Okay so if I am not getting the Denon 5803 and am willing to go with the Denon 3802, I could do better in that price-range for the similar specs and get better component switching? If so, what brands are there to consider? A couple of names already suggested are the Pioneer Elite 49tx and the Yamaha Y1300... and of course which one would be the best one to get out of the lot?

This are the components that will be plugging into the receiver in my setup:

- Panasonic 50" plasma screen TV (PT-50PHD4-P or PT-50PD3-P)
- Anthony Gallo HT speakers (6.1) 100W RMS each and 240W RMS powered sub.
- Panasonic DVD-RP82 (or JVC 502, if the Panny RP82 does not play SVCDs)
- I will also have a satellite receiver plugged into this receiver as well
- Possible Playstation 2 hookup in the near future
- Maybe a VCR hookup later on

Please suggest what receiver would be best for that setup, taking into consideration the power requirements, number of input requirements (using component inputs or whatever's best for that device) and component switching. I think I covered all the issues... right?

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks