Plasma TV on wall question......................

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

If you buy a plasma TV and hang it on the wall, what do you do with all your other equipment (dvd, satellite, etc) with no entertainment center?? Just curious of the possibilities.

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Kind of an open-ended question - you can do whatever you want with it! You can put that stuff in the same places you'd put it when using any type of TV. Usually, though, I'd bet that all that equipment is on an AV rack next to or beneath the TV, or in a little closet built behind the wall the TV's on. You're gonna want to get a receiver that will handle all your video switching (such as the Pioneer vsx49 or some Kenwoods) to minimize the number of cables running to the plasma.

3. Michael Cook

I'm just thinking ahead. We are having a house built next summer and I am planning to get a plasma TV. I was thinking it would look funny with a audio rack sitting there and the tv on the wall. Maybe making a in the wall audio rack with a glass front would be best.

I was trying to find some pictures of entertainment systems with Plasma tvs and couldn't find much.

Thanks for the tip on the receiver. I didn't even think of that. That would definitely cut down on the wires going to the tv.

4. Michael Cook

yeah, this is the main room and has lots of windows. It is really bright so a projection is out of the question.

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

If you're building the house you have a great advantage. Trying to retrofit a room for a plasma can be a real bitch. If you can design a little closet-like room to hold your receiver, DVD player, sat box, etc... an IR repeater system can be set up for the remotes, and you can have all your equipment -- minus plasma and speakers, of course -- completely out of sight. It really enhances the visual impact when all you see is the plasma.

If you get one of those receivers I mentioned before, the only cables you'll have to run up to the TV location (other than AC power, of course) are a set of three component cables - the right receiver will convert all composite and s-video signals into component outputs. Good 75ohm coax cable works great and is cheap, so even if the closet is at the back of the room you can get the video signal to the plasma.

Another thing to consider when building the room is to make sure the wall studs are centered to where the TV will be hung. Typically, a builder will start measuring from an outside wall and put studs every 18 inches or whatever, which holds the wall up fine but might not be ideal locations for supporting your $10000 TV. Ideally you want a stud right down the center of the TV, and then one more on each side of the bracket. You can save yourself a lot of hassle when mounting the TV if you make sure there will be studs to drill into where the TV bracket is going. Good luck!

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Vertical wall studs are placed 16" on center apart. It is a standard building practice and is why the mounting brackets used for plasma tv's have lag holes located 16" apart.

However, it is likely that you may want the tv smack dab in the center of a wall. In this case you may need to rip out some drywall and reframe to acoomodate your asthetic wants and needs. Keep in mind also that you'll need cable run in the wall to connect sources to the plasma. I suggest two or three runs of CL3 rated 5 BNC cable. It can be terminated as composite, S-Video, Component video or 5 BNC (the preferred connection). You'll also want to invest in a scaler to get the most out of the plasma. The scalers in plasma tv's are abismal. regards.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Bill, you might also want to look into some slide out wall racks. Check out www.smarthome.com for the kind of racks I'm talking about.

8. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Michael,
    Yes, the measurement between studs is 16" standard.
    Studs (i.e. 2x4" boards) are cheap. Since you have the enviable advantage of building your house new, you can easily make sure that a couple of studs are available where you want them on the wall that will hold your plasma TV. These studs can be placed anywhere in addition to the studs that hold the wall up, and the cost should be minimal as long as you put them in before the drywall (wall material) goes up.
    I'm green with envy!
    Jan

9. Michael Cook

Sounds good. What is an IR repeater system? I think I saw something like this before. A guy had his equipment in another room and had this pyramid shaped thing on the table. Maybe I am thinking of something totally opposite of what you are saying.

My brother in law will be building the house, so adding some extra studs on one of the walls won't be a problem.

I like the idea of a hidden closet. I just can't picture and audio rack sitting on the floor with a TV on the wall in my head. Doesn't seem like it will look right.

The good thing is I have 1 year to figure this out. I am making a list already of the things I will need/want. Hopefully they will come down a little in price too by next year (fingers crossed). My wife is getting irratated because I didn't like certain house plans only because I didn't like the setup of the family room!