Plasma Tv...need advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Co, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Looking at Plasma televisions either 42" or 50" for around $6,000-$7,000. Don't really have any idea what to start looking at. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Jason

2. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Anyone?

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Jason, (Fellow michigander here)
    I have done a lot of research on Plasmas, since I settled on it as my only upgrade path for a few years down the road (I play too many video games to risk a projection screen, and I don't like the washing-out effect). The AVS forum has excellent information on plasmas, although sometimes too much!!
    My understanding is that the best plasmas are either Pioneer or Panasonic. Pioneer has a more vibrant picture, but Panasonic has better black levels. Because of the way plasmas work, they tend to be inherently too bright, muddying the darks, you end up with blacks that are more gray than black. Panasonic has the best handle on this problem. However, there are some that like the Pioneer's more vibrant picture better.
    Personally I have settled on the Panasonic 42" HD versions (they seem to run about $4,500 - $6,0000, depending on where you get it from). Be aware that there are also some Standard def plasmas that don't do true HD, (although quite a few people say they look almost as good as the HD ones with HD sources down-rezzed)
    Pioneer or Panasonic is the way to go if you have the $$.

4. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Thanks Dave [​IMG]

5. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

I'd add Fujitsu to the list of great 50" plasmas (along with Panasonic and Pioneer).

An ISF Tech calibration would help you get the most out of whatever display you wind up with.

Like Dave mentioned, the AVS Forum has a pretty active plasma discussion area.

One capability to keep an eye out for would be that of an DVI-HDCP input. . .

Regards,

Mike

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Fujitsus... [​IMG] Not an expert, just doing a lot of research. I am still up in the air about the DVI issues...I hope it is worked out before I get the plasma $$ together.