Plasma TV mounted above a fireplace?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by KimSt, Aug 30, 2003.

1. KimSt

KimSt Auditioning

Is it okay to mount a plasma TV above a fireplace (gas)? Will the heat from the fireplace have any effect on the TV?

-Kim

2. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

I was considering putting a plasma above a fireplace myself. I decided against it basically because I need somewhere to put my center channel speaker as the mantle was not big enough. Unless you live in a cold state and build fires on a near daily basis 6 or 7 months out of the year, I doubt it would be too much of a problem. Maybe som ash blows up on it. I dunno.

3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I personally think it would be a bad idea due to both heat and smoke, but there are numerous people at www.avsforum.com in the plasma and LCD section who have described mounting their that way and have not had a problem.

SMK

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I wouldn't do it. Even if the heat and possible smoke don't cause problems (and they can, in a big way), it would be highly distracting to have a light source "competing" with your display in your direct line of sight.

5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Puts the plama awfully high as well. That is unless the primary viewing posture will be standing in the room.

6. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

My thoughts exactly. Way too high.

7. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

We have our plasma mounted over the fireplace, mostly because we really didn't have a choice due to the room configuration. That location is also very aesthetic. Although we only use our fireplace a dozen or so times a year, I've checked the temperature and heat is definitely not a problem. Our fireplace has never exhibited any signs of smoke either.

As for height, it is a bit high, but after a few weeks, it really didn't bother us. It does depend upon how far away you are seated, our typical viewing distance is about 11 feet. I also had to install a larger mantle to hold the center channel.

One suggestion is to do what we did, make a cardboard mock-up of the plasma to help you determine whether you could live with it there.

-Steve