What's new

Plasma TV from UK to USA (1 Viewer)

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I need some help. My father-in-law is in London and looking to buy a plasma TV. He'll only be there a couple more years before moving back to the states, and he wants to bring it with him. He had questions that I couldn't answer, so as always, I came to the HTF'ers for help.

First of all, Everyone knows that they use PAL in the UK, and NTSC in the USA. A salesperson told him that he'd have to run the TV through a tuner embedded in a VCR or a DVD recorder. Does that sound right? I can't imagine buying a Plasma TV and running the signal through a VCR.

Secondly, the wattage. Because of the difference in wattage, the TV will need to support both 110 & 220. Are any of these brands dual wattage capable?

Sony
Panasonic
Phillips
Sharp
Hitachi

As always, I appreciate any input, experiences, or advice that anyone can give. I'll check in later. Thanks.

-Jay

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure about the newer Panasonic consumer models, but their commercial displays do allow you to select the video format (PAL, NTSC, SECAM). I don't think that any of the Panasonics will let you select the input power source voltage, but he could use an external transformer.

-Steve

Zack<P>

Agent
being stationed in italy i might be able o help you with this .they do make dual voltage plasma screens .set for 110 and 220 all of these models that are made dual voltage are also dual signal .when he goes shopping make sure he ask for dual voltage that can opperate in the US and UK .hope this info helps your father out .side note dual voltage units are more costly just an fyi .
as for the brands i know ive seen sony panasonic and hitachi models set for dual .

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve & Zack. I'll pass this info along. He had mentioned that he looked at a Hitachi.

off topic: Zack, good luck in Italy. We'll be spending Christmas over there, so maybe we'll run into you. I mean, how big can Italy be? :)

Zack<P>

Agent
actualy for something that looks rather small on a map you would be supprised .also for a warning driving over here is completely dif from the states .to you and me they seem crazy but in all honesty they are far better drivers than we in the states could ever be .as for x-mas im all the way in the south nice small island sicily but still fun place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks