Plasma TV, DPT or LCD? I AM CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeanSeattle, Jan 7, 2003.

1. DeanSeattle

DeanSeattle Auditioning

Guys, got to help me out.

I am in the process of looking at entering the digital world and am in the buying process for a video device. Here is my question/scenario.

I have the flexibility of putting in a dedicated home theater or I can just swap out my TV in my current viewing area. I was thinking of going with the Panasonic 42" Plasma that would fit perfectly in my current area. I also was looking at the Samsung 50' DPT. But the idea struck me that maybe I could just go with something like an InFocus LCD Projector and build a dedicated home theater out of a spare room instead. I have no room for an InFocus set up in my current room but will have a great set up for it in the new room if I go that direction.

Here are my viewing habits: DirectTV (70%) DVDs (30%). I also want to be prepared for HDTV broadcasting.

My big question is that I am not experienced with InFocus type LCD projectors. I have been on the web and have seen that they have amazing color coverage, 16:9 and 4:3 pulldown, 720p, 1080i, HDTV etc....so from the looks of it, that would be the way to go instead of a Plasma or high end rear projection HDTV monitor. Anybody have an experience with this or can recommend a model? Drawbacks of going this way? Just want some opinions on the best way to go.

I have been on EBay and found that you can get these InFocus projectors for LESS then a plasma set and in many cases LESS then even a good rear projection. Just wondering why more people dont go this direction over something like a Plasma or rear projection....

The room that I would be putting it in would be enclosed (no outside light sources like windows) and would be dedicated to viewing movies and watching DirectTV.

Any and all opinions are appreciated...

PS. The InFocus model number that I was looking at was a InFocus 530..

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Dean,

This might get more attention in the Displays area- an area specifically dedicated to posts about TVs and projectors.

3. Joe Reed

Joe Reed Stunt Coordinator

Well I beilieve the plasma you are probably talking about is only EDTV and not HDTV, so you will only get the highest resolution of 480p, whill with a high def source will be 720p, or 1080i. Most people who go plasma routes do it for WAF or for the cool factor, or RPTV, because they don't have a dedictaed room for viewing movies and they cannot fully adjust thier lighting in thier main room, but if you have a room with no windows, why not go with a projector.