Plasma Televisions... Anybody have one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Frame, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Mike_Frame

Mike_Frame Extra

Apr 7, 2002
    I've been looking at some Plasma televisions lately, and I wanted to see if anybody is using them yet... how good is the quality? Easy to connect to the HT? Any tips?

I'm just kind of tire kicking right now, but I AM actually considering it as a replacement for my Sony rear projection.
  2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999
    Plasma televisions are generally regarded as a waste of money right now. You can get a projector which will give you a significantly better picture for a lot less money.
  3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Feb 5, 2001
    I don't have one, hoping to wait it out to a 3rd generation 60-inch.
    Currently, given the cost, I suspect manufacturers are getting more sales in business-environment display than home HT, where it's still more of an "early adopter" sitution. As I see it, plasma isnt just a plug-and-play addition. There are potential outboard video processors or scalers to consider, using the correct wall mount brackets, custom inwall/AC outlet installation to hide the wires.
    One of the top 3 being used in HT is Pioneer PDP503CMX which outside business use requires a video card to be inserted for HT. People are finding this at Dell.Com internet mail order for $9,700.
    Finding models with good black-levels seems to be the major deal-maker.
    Two places to read about what's out there:
    * The new HTF advertiser TV Authority (click above) has plasma FAQs and a shopping list of models.
    * AVS Forum has a dedicated plasma board (more than you'll ever want to read) and a standing thread for objective features of 50-inchers Here