What's new

Plasma Stretch Mode Questions (1 Viewer)

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which plasma TV’s has the best stretch modes? I’m moving to a new house with built in cabinets in the wall. The cost to alter the cabinets so that my current TV will fit is about what decent plasma would cost. I currently have an HDTV (Sony KV-36HS420) which is 4:3, because most of what I watch is 4:3 and comes thru as an analog signal (lower 70 channels). However, I do get 5 or so HD channels and several digital channels. What I would like to know is how a plasma TV will handle a 4:3 analog signal as far as quality. Are there any brands that do a superior job of stretching the picture so as not to distort the image and handle an analog signal reasonably well? My current sony does a pretty good job of handling the analog’s so they don’t look too grainy. However, it’s a CRT tube even though its HD capable which is great for handling multiple type signals(HD, digital & analog) but the tradeoff is the size, its too big to fit in the current cabinets. Is there a plasma out there that will handle all of these different type signals reasonably well and stretch modes without picture quality issues?

Thanks

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The stretch modes are different for each manufacturer....some do it better than others. I hate the short fat people mode on 4:3 programming and prefer not to use the side bars on my display. The mode that works best for me takes the 4:3 picture and blows it up to fill the screen. The drawback is that it cuts a little off the top and bottom of the broadcast picture. I take that and move the picture down the screen as I prefer seeing the information at the top more than the bottom.....plus, as a bonus, it gets rid of the annoying channel logos and/or ticker tapes at the bottom.

Best, of course, is HD broadcasts. Then things are as they should be.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks