What's new

Plasma Searching...HELP! (1 Viewer)

Zach

Agent
Interesting dilemma. We just moved and knowing that the layout/size of our new living room wouldn't be conducive to a rear projection set, I had to unload my 60" Sony LCD RP. Not happy.

But...it's not all bad news. The wife has given me permission to get serious about a plasma to hang on the wall! Yipee!!

Unfortunately, I know very little about them. So, I'm looking for your input. I'd like a 50" screen, bigger if affordable. I'd like to be able to hang it on the wall (without all the wires running directly to the back of the set...if possible). And, I'd like it to be HD, not ED. I think that covers my requirements (almost...at least one HDMI input would be preferred).

Here's the catch. My budget is under $5500. Any advice?

Thanks!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
My friend bought a 7uy Panasonic thru Visual apex with the HDMI board. He couldn't be happier.

They want $4k. Then you will need the board($155), the mount($200 or so) and your good to go.

The blacks are black and deep. Watching Incredibles on it was.... Incredible.

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Pla...&MFR=Panasonic

The unit was basically triple boxed.

Pioneer is another option but it's tradeoffs are its brighter but with lesser quality blacks.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
That's the exact plasma that I will be buying for my new house. I don't think that there's a better option out there.

Zach

Agent
Shane - Thanks for the insight. Shich Pioneer models are you referring to? I've seen the 5050HD, but not sure it's within my price range. Are there other Pioneer models I'm missing out on?

So Panny & Pioneer are at the top of my "must see" list. Are there any Sonys in this price range? Do the Sonys have media boxes or are the inputs on the back of the panel? How 'bout the Pannys and Pioneers? Media boxes?

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Own the 50" 7UY as well and it is sweet and will blow you away. Gregg's coming to calibrate it saturday but it already looks awesome right out of the box. Go for it! Got mine from plasmaconcepts.com in October.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Zach,
The ones that you will likely see on visual apex for instance are commercial ones which don't have the media boxes. I believe those are for consumer models only.

The Pioneers have their inputs in an odd spot. The Panasonics are much easier to get to.

If you look on Visual apex you will see the pioneer 50's on the right side under hot products. Those are commercial panels.

Zach

Agent
What are the pros/cons of a consumer vs. a commercial set?

Commercial sets seem a bit more inconvenient, with input cards adding extra cost and limited connections, no built-in speakers, etc.

I'm assuming that the picture quality is higher in commercial sets, but is it worth the trade offs?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well commercial ones are cheaper, have less inputs, typically use bnc's instead of rca connections, no speakers. In the case of the Panasonics, they have the updated glass on them which the normal ones don't(but will).

The consumer grade ones usually have a media box or tuner or both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks