Plasma Screen TV Question! How 'bout it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidMich, Dec 8, 2001.

1. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

All Right, I think I have decided to go with one of these because of the Spouse Approval Factor. She doesn't like to idea of a screen on the ceiling, or a different colored wall. Besides, light control is going to be a problem in this room. (So Front Projection is out for now).

An RPTV set is really just too big. After I add the subwoofer, component rack/entertainment center....well, it's just too big.

So no my search has brought me to the Plasma Screen TVs.

What is the best one? I am looking on something at least 40" big, HDTV ready, and of course, widescreen is a must.

I don't hear too much about these here, and value your opinions....HELP!

Please tell me where I can get the best price for one, and which has the most features/faults.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

2. DavidMich

C'mon everybody! (BUMP)

Help.......

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Well, I am on this path too.
    All I can suggest is to start lurking at the Plasma site at AVS Forum until your eyes glaze; say about a month. Don't wanta rush into this, do we?
    Click Here
    Also take a look at this online company many have used www.projectionone.com/

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

David, There is some talk in this thread from about a month back.
    If HDTV is important to you then the 42" Sony seems to be the best deal for the $$ (you get true HD for well under 8k street)
    If you can live with 480p then the Fujitsu 42" seems to be the best bang for buck in plasma (480p for well under 7k street)

5. Mark Rogo

Mark Rogo Extra

Whatever your need, you should pass on the Sony products. They basically suck with anything other than HD and -- even there -- the black (aka green on Sony) level and contrast also suck.

If you are going to be in the market for a 42" set you have two choices: the newest Panasonic and the new NEC 42MP3. In January -- or later -- Pioneer will have a new entry at 43", which could well be intriguing.

Both the Panasonic and NEC only display 480p. That is supposedly not HD, right? Well, technically that's true. These sets have just 403,000 pixels in total. That said, the Panasonic (at least, I have not seen the NEC, I am basing NEC-related comments on a lot of discussion with fellow plasma owners), displays a simply breathtaking HD picture.

This should not be totally surprising given that most CRT-based sets are really only in the 700K-900K pixel range anyway (some, like the RCA MM36000 series which a lot of people like, are essentially 500K pixel displays). The Sony another posted referred to is a 500K pixel display (it is *not* 1024 x 1024 as it claims because the panel is *interlaced*, halving the actually vertical resolution).

If you are in the market for a 50" display, the Pioneer 503/Pro 1000HD is probably your best bet or the Fujitsu 5001/5002. Keep in mind, those extra 8 diagonal inches will run you an additional $4000-6000. They will also buy a true HD display, capable of essentially native 720p display. (I am passing on the Panasonic here because it is neither upgradeable to support copy protection -- like the Pioneer -- nor is it as color-magnificent as the Fujitsu is -- albeit probably not upgradeable).

The Pioneer 43" that is due soon will be a true HD display and -- if as good as the new Pioneer 50" -- could be a true monster.

If WAF is more important than picture quality (i.e. you and your wife are essentially blind but want a flat-screen TV that you can enjoy), Sony will have integrated sets with built in tuners and speakers come Q1 of next year.

I am pleased to help more with this if you'd like. I second the recommendation to go to AVS Forum (I and fellow plasma folk are there all the time).

Cheers,

Mark

6. DavidMich

Thanks, Mark.

I appreciate your detailed response! It helps!

I was under the impression that there were more models available that would display HD in the PROPER resolution.

(1 million pixels or so....)

I'm having a hard time justifying the 50" pricetag!

Where can one get a good deal (best price) on one?

7. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

8. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

Plasma screens are the one thing that are GUARANTEED to drop in price and raise in quality within a year. You can't say that about any other medium.